turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

age and career change...2 questions

Started by fallhnt, March 03, 2016, 09:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dearhunter3450

You are in a tough spot. I myself am working a job I really don't love. I however look at what this job has given me and that makes me happy, I work overtime and earn 115k, have a beautiful home in a great school district , benefits and 20 yr retirement. These things would make it extremely hard to leave even though the job is less then great. They only have my soul for another 7 years so I am going nowhere 

Swather

Quote from: fallhnt on March 03, 2016, 09:28:04 PM
I've been a ASE master certified Tech at a GM dealer for over 30 years. My only benefit is I work hard and make a good living. My wife has insurance and other family health care benefits for us. Well, I tested and interviewed for a union job in the elevator trade and my number has come up. I talked to a friend who has worked  in that trade for over 30 yrs. and he told me that with my work ethic that I would be working as long as I wanted. Fine by me. PRO's...Benefits, pay and my wife could stop working in about 5 years. Cons...Close to a 5 year apprenticeship program and I would be on the high end of 50 when done with the program. Has anybody been through a job change late in life and have any thoughts? How do I know GOD wants me there?

The lord probably has bigger things to worry about than where any of us works.  It is a relatively small, non-moral or spiritual issue.

You should probably think over the bad macro trend that is going to affect you later in life as well as how flat mechanic pay is.  I am not a mechanic, but know several, and they all complain that they have been in the $18-20/hr range for years with not much prospect of more in the near future.  Most of them are tired of the grease and busting their knuckles anyway, and the flat compensation trend has not helped their morale.

Those elevator trade jobs are hard to get and once they get them, people don't leave them for other stuff.

We are likely to face significant inflation in the future which will diminish the value of past labors and savings from them.  Unless one has a big inheritance lined up, he is going to have to think about working beyond 65 to avoid being without.  Social Security is not going to amount to much.  Thus, what you have before you is an opportunity to go work somewhere for 20 years and earn and save far more than you will with the current and employer and a good opportunity to hedge against the future and take care of your family. 

If the people that work there can honestly tell you that there is no toxic environment making employees miserable and that employees are generally pretty happy, then run, don't walk.  Acquire everything you will need in retirement, like a truck, camper, boat, canoe, shotgun, etc. and get it paid off.  Pay off the house and all other debts.  Work all the hours you can and save and invest as much as you can.  It is likely to prove to be very beneficial to you 20 years from and you'll be glad that you are not struggling like friends that spent a lifetime in lower paying jobs and are dependent on a volatile market affecting their 401(k) and a busted SS system.

dejake

Actually, He doesn't have bigger things to worry about, because He loves each and every one of us.

BowBendr

Quote from: dejake on March 04, 2016, 01:39:28 PM
Actually, He doesn't have bigger things to worry about, because He loves each and every one of us.

Agree 100%
The scriptures tell us that he knows the cares of our heart. He cares so much that he knows the hairs on our head before we were born....

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Marc

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 04, 2016, 08:55:43 AM
Here are some addional considerations.
  Can you retire from the GM job? Are you in a pension system with that 30+ years? Is it possible to advise the powers that be you may leave. and negotiate for a better salary?
Right now. Can you take off at the drop of a hat when ever you want? Sounds like you have some seniority. Family time, and time to do what we love ya can't get back.

Very good points!

If you are considering making a change in the near future, and your current employer has been good to you, I would certainly discuss this with them first, and let them know as to why you are making the change, to see if they do not give you some incentive to stay....

Do NOT burn any bridges, as you might find yourself looking for employment again in the future, and a job to go back to, or even a strong recommendation can be nice.

I myself have had employees leave, and when given notice and reason, it has never bothered me...  I have enticed some employees to stay, and some to come back, as long as they leave on good terms, and do not leave me "high and dry."

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2016, 09:05:15 AM
True fact:  leaving spirtuality aside we live our lives and strive for gain.  Now some people strive to gain possessions and others to gain experience.  I say this live your life to be happy.  If happiness comes in material wealth or gain then go for it and if it's in the ride then buckel up and do the things that make you happy today but still be responsible enough that tomorrow isn't a failure.

Some words of wisdom right there...  Personally, I find happiness in a career that allows a certain degree of financial reward, so that I can provide for my family and myself, and a career that gives me the feeling of accomplishment (whatever that is for any given individual).

I believe if you are happy with your work/career, you will likely be happy at home, and make for a better "family man."

After reading your posts, I remain uncertain as to why you are considering the change, and what benefit such a change would mean to you personally or financially????
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

kevin2

I've owned my own business most of my life, and while it clearly has its perks, it is by far more time consuming then working for somebody else. All I can say is, if you go your own business route, be prepared to be all in. To succeed, more often then not, everything else in your life will take a back seat, including your wife, children, girlfriend, family, and HUNTING! HUNTING!

With that said, if it is burning inside of you strong, better to do it while you are young/er. GO for it...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

loner

i never worked in a union shop as i was in private sector all my career in management.praying about a big move always the place to start.i moved my family abour every 5 years while climbing the ladder and my two boys changing schools was probably the biggest negative.being in a union provides a security blanket i never had so i cannot speak to that.the biggest concerns should be location and cost of living,and real estate selling or buying and your age is a factor after 50.i left a corporate position in 1992 and moved back home to MS to a home i had kept since 1979.i was 52 years old and had decided my moving was over.my salary level had peaked and i was 'over qualified' for everything in my profession and nobody wanted to pay what i had been earning.i would have had to move again even if i had found an opportunity with decent salary.make your move before you hit the 50 mark as that could be a negative beyond that.good luck!
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

JK Spurs

I work in the oil & gas industry and if oil and natural gas prices don't go up and rig count keeps decreasing I may be looking at a career change! I actually have 16 years with my company and have been very blessed in this career...most likely will get through these bad times but I have a lot of co workers and friends that have been let go over the past 6 months.
I like my turkey well peppered

triune

You are a very blessed man to have this dilemma.  Many pro's and con's to consider.  For me it would be how this would effect my family life.  Seeking God's counsel is a wise decision.