OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on choke/ammo combo for REM 870

Started by clfergus, February 25, 2016, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

My 870 loves 3" 2oz Hevi-13 #6's.  I have the hevi-shot choke tube, the constriction is .662 I believe.

gotcha

I also shoot a 12 ga 870.Over the past 22 seasons I have shot lots of combos.Started with factory turkey and lead 4's{federal}.It was a great combo,then a few years later I learned to use the interweb.Of course that changed everything but turkeys were not any deader.I now{past 4-5 seasons}use a Pure Gold .670 with Federal Heavyweight 7's.It has been explained to me by ballastic GuRu's that the Federal 7 has the same down range energy as 5 lead,with lots more shot.I want a good killing pattern for a wide range of distances.A load that puts 90% of its pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards will be easy to miss a 15 yard in heavy cover.For me this shell/choke combo suits me perfect but its likely my 40 yard paper targets would not be impressive compared to some I see posted,but I do have alot of dead turkey pics.

turkeyfoot

I've tried lot shells and chokes in my 870 and after lot lost cash but lot fun my best is Rhino with 4-5-7 Nitro Hevi-shot I get really good pattern with Nitro Hevi straight 6's as well

ThunderChickenHunter21

I shoot 3 1/2 in. mag blends through an Indian creek choke and my 870 loves it.  Patterns great.   :z-twocents:

SKFOOTER

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on February 26, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
My 870 loves 3" 2oz Hevi-13 #6's.  I have the hevi-shot choke tube, the constriction is .662 I believe.
What length barrel???

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 26, 2016, 10:05:07 PM
Quote from: ElkTurkMan on February 26, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
What length barrel???
26"

clfergus

Thanks everyone, I think I will tr the Jellyhead and some of the Longbeard XRs in #5 shot. These are available around where I live along with Nitro Turkey and the Hevi-Shot.

Has anyone tried the new version of Hevi Shot, the Triple Beard?

Gooserbat

I know I'm not in the norm bot out of three guns none did well with a jellyhead.  For an affordable choke I'd say either a Carlson's or an undertaker.665 and my best has been Jebs .655.  As for shells if you don't mind lead then longbeards in #5 or #6.  Hevi #6 is very good and then there is Fed HW#7 but then the choke game changes and I can recommend either a Trulock or a Rob Roberts.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.