OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on choke/ammo combo for REM 870

Started by clfergus, February 25, 2016, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I have a SM 870 I built last year with a 23 inch barrel, fiber optic sights. The barrel came with a extended Remington Choke of some kind. I also have a Primos Jellyhead I got used off a member as well as s Primos TightWad.

Can anyone recommend some 3' shells with any of these chokes? I saw hevi-Shot has a new Triple Beard load out this year.

Fullfan

I have had great results with a Jelly head and all 3 of my Remington's, 2 are the 11-87's sps-t with the 21"barrel. The other is a Sur Shot mag with a 23" barrel. Hevi shot in # 6 and # 7 both have put up great numbers. And both have killed numerous gobblers for me and my son.
Don't gobble at me...

Greg Massey

If your looking for a reasonable price shell i like the federal 3 in. 5 shot 2 oz load. i just like a 2 oz. load and i like the same shell in 3 in. 6 shot 2 oz. both of these are good shells and for a box of 10 most of the time you can find these between 15 and 20 dollars a box...most of the time i put one number 5 in the gun first and back it up with 2 number 6 shot shells..Winchester Double x are a good shell and the Winchester long Beard XR 3 in. 1 3/4 oz. 5 or 6 shot box of 10 are around 20 dollars. any of these will be great for your gun in either choke you have..

chuckward

Get yourself a Comp-n-choke and some #5 longbeards. Awesome combo in my 3 in 870.  Chuck

tomstopper

Mine has performed great on paper and in the field with a Remington ventilator choke and size 5 Turkey thug 3.5 inch ammo.

Will

Hevi 13 mag blend with a Rhino choke with 660 constriction. It's tight and deadly to 50 yards.

RemingtonRules

I have tried Jellyhead and Rhino chokes in mine.  Both perform well but I like the Jellyhead better.  It will shoot most anything I feed it.

Bayou Gold

I just got 870 SM w 23 in. Barrel & IC .665 choke.  Shot 3 in. Win. Long beards in both #5 & #6. 6 was best.  Both pretty tight but manageable at 20.  At 40 yds the #6 was much more even putting 208 in 10 in circle.   

The #5 were actually much worse with A tighter pattern at 20 & holes throughout pattern at 40.

Hate it too, because I would prefer the added energy of larger 5 shot in event of a longer shot

Might try LB #4 but content shooting 3 in shells

sbbow

Jelly head/ turkey thug 6's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

A .660 to .665 jellyhead or Indian creek with some hevishot mag blends or #5 longbeards would be hard to beat.

chcltlabz

Mine likes the Hevishot choke and mag blends.  The 7's patterned great, but I wasn't as impressed with their performance.  Mine is a 3 inch gun though.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Gamblinman

.660 Jellyhead for most loads. TruLock choke and Federal Heavyweight is all I shoot now.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

WW

kcrebel

I have the same gun.  Nicknamed Thor since everything it gets aimed at falls dead in it's tracks.  Lol.
My setup is a Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665 tube and I'm shooting Winchester Xtended Range #6's until I run out.  Then it will be back to the patterning board for a new load.  I've used this combo since 2005 to successfully kill I don't even know how many turkeys.  Not touching it until I run out of ammo.
I can tell you that Remington 870's like the tighter constrictions since they are bored bigger than some other guns. 
What's interesting is that I also have a comp n choke tube .665 and Thor won't pattern worth a hoot with any load.  Why?  I have no idea but my 26" 870 is right the opposite and prefers 5 shot over 6.  Total head scratcher but is why I am adamant in advising guys to shoot as many choke tubes and loads as you can afford so you will know what your gun likes best. 
Ask around and most guys will let you borrow their tubes and maybe even a couple of shells to test out so you aren't stuck with dropping several hundred dollars on choke tubes and ammo to find out. 

Gobble!

How much you looking to spend?

TSS is the best shot out there right now. At 18 g/cc its an absolute bone breaker. But you will need to load it yourself.
Winchester Long Beards are the best LEAD shell ever produced, 11g/cc
Hevi13 HeviShot is in my opinion the best over the counter load at 12g/cc.

ANY of those loads will do VERY well with a JellyHead.