OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mouth calls while hunting

Started by yungbuck, February 11, 2016, 11:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yungbuck

mouth calls

when i use them and put them away the next time I get them out to practice or hunt they sounds terrible and i notice the reeds are all stuck together

so when i am just practicing at home i take the time to put little tooth picks between the reeds.

here is my dilemma/question.  sometimes if I have using a diaphram call in the morning of a hunt i realize the reeds start sticking together and mid hunt I dont really have the ability to be messing with the reeds. so anyone else have this issue of the reeds sticking and sounding awful- any tips while hunting to be able to call on them all day?

thanks

dejake

Don't believe I've ever had that problem.

dirt road ninja

If you let it sit in your mouth for a minute or two it will loosen up. I will purr a few times to make sure all is right with the call before cranking on it. If they are stuck a quiet purr will shake them loose.

jwhunter

it takes about 2-3 extra seconds to put a tooth pick in the reeds before you put them away. if they are stuck then pull them apart. again it takes 2-3 seconds

GobbleNut

Reeds will stick together often.  The simplest way I have found to fix that problem is to just carefully pull the longest reed away from the others with your fingers and then blowing air between the reeds to evaporate  Too much tugging can tear the top reed and, over time, stretch the reed enough so that it affects the sound, so care should be taken not to do this too aggressively. 

Also, often a call that suddenly "goes flat" while calling is a result of the reeds sticking.  If that happens, puling the reeds apart will fix that problem

OldSchool

I always keep my diaphram calls in the refrigerator, other than the ones I'm using at the time, and try to remember to rinse them off each day after I use them. I let the water run in between the reeds, shake them off and put them back in the box I carry them in. Never had one stick together, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

2eagles

My mouth calls always sound terrible, so it's no big deal.

Happy

I typically always have one in my mouth while hunting. I typically pop it in my mouth while driving and work the reeds loose by calling and warming up. Can't say I have had any issues in the field.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

born2hunt

Throw it in your mouth with a bit of water and give it a quick swish around, spit the water out and you should be good to go.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Tom Threetoes

Do you guys ever have a problem with your calls getting water logged if you leave them in your mouth too long?

Rick Howard

When I'm hunting I pretty much always have the call in my mouth which normally keeps them from sticking, at least for me.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 13, 2016, 08:27:19 AM
Do you guys ever have a problem with your calls getting water logged if you leave them in your mouth too long?

Absolutely.  Personally, I never leave my mouth calls in my mouth between calls.  I suppose it may be the way I call, or perhaps the type of calls I use, but if I leave a call in my mouth very long it will lose the crisp sounds I prefer.  I think that is because of the reeds sticking together because of saliva, and also because the reeds will relax a bit if the call is constantly in my mouth. 

I have to admit I am a bit surprised that some here prefer to leave the call in their mouths while hunting.  I just can't get the same quality of sound from my calls if I do that.  They will eventually "go flat" on me. 

davisd9

Almost to parking spot I stick call in my mouth, I get to tree and bird hits ground, I call, I keep call in my mouth whole time I hunt unless i get tired of having in in my mouth, at that time or after the hunt I stick it in my vest mouth call holder and it stays there until I use it again and that may be the next season. Never had a problem with this method and usually wear them out rather than any other issue. Mouth calls are probably the call I use the most but it is the one I dislike the most. They are easy to run but everybody and their brother is yaking on one.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rick Howard

When I keep it in my mouth the reeds stay separated.  I like the call better when the reeds relax.  Comes a point when they get too relaxed though.  I carry 3 of the mouth calls in an old tobacco tin (the tin has a bunch of holes in it for air flow).  If one gets too far gone then switch them out.

Devastator

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 13, 2016, 10:03:07 AM
Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 13, 2016, 08:27:19 AM

Absolutely.  Personally, I never leave my mouth calls in my mouth between calls.  I suppose it may be the way I call, or perhaps the type of calls I use, but if I leave a call in my mouth very long it will lose the crisp sounds I prefer.  I think that is because of the reeds sticking together because of saliva, and also because the reeds will relax a bit if the call is constantly in my mouth. 

I have to admit I am a bit surprised that some here prefer to leave the call in their mouths while hunting.  I just can't get the same quality of sound from my calls if I do that.  They will eventually "go flat" on me.
Im with you gobblenut!