turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mouth calls while hunting

Started by yungbuck, February 11, 2016, 11:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yungbuck

grateful for the replies! had to travel this weekend for work and was pumped to see so many insights when I logged back in to old gobbler!

I am going to do some experimenting between now and season to see which works for me.

I am trying to not have to mess with pulling on the reeds mid hunt because I do not want to tear them.  I will try and keep them in my mouth for an hour or two and see how that works versus taking them in and out 10 times a hunt.  i like the purr idea before laying into some cuts and yelps.

i too need to work on less calling and call variety because the public woods seem to be filled with lots of guys trying to win the diaphram calling championship every morning- i am learning less is more 

thanks again ya'll

tha bugman

Put them in your mouth on the morning drive to your spot and get it warmed up with some yelps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

When you get through using your calls, run some water in between the reeds and put them in the freezer. I've been doing it for years. Just make sure the call is thawed out before you put it in your mouth. Don't ask me how I know. I just know.

yungbuck

x 2 cottonmouth: when I am at home calling I run water on them, place small tooth picks between reeds and then freeze them.  this has allowed me to use the same calls for 3 seasons now but again mid season i have all the reeds really sticking together because i leave them in my vest or i just plain forget to separate the reeds- i am grateful for the tips!

MK M GOBL

I do nothing more than most here, put the call in my mouth and it will soften up. During hunt hours I either store them on the bill of my cap, yup it's made for that or in call case. While "hunting" call is always in the mouth but do seem to switch them up a bit.

MK M GOBL

THattaway

Bit different approach for me than stated so far. After a day of hunting I rinse each call with water and place in a small container with a little 50/50 mouthwash and water. After a couple swishes around in the container I crack the lid, drain the liquid and then put in the fridge. I use a primos plastic call holder while hunting and usually stage it on the kitchen counter to remind me to get the calls each morning. I know this sounds like a lot to deal with but it's proven to be worthwhile. Calls are always fresh, moist, immediately usable and seem to last much longer. I get 3 seasons usage average on a call before it loosens up too far or the tape gives out.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

maytom

Same here, I keep my mouth calls in a plastic "mouth call saver" case. Best part, it comes with a piece of white foam which you keep wet with Scope mouth wash. I also keep it in the fridge when not using the calls. This moisture keeps the calls from drying out and the reeds from sticking together.

Marc

Absolute must-have favorite call...  Take two of em'.

Between calling, or while walking, I bite the tape with the latex sticking out of my mouth to dry. 

The whole idea of a mouth call is to have a call on hand with a minimum amount of movement...  No movement to grab or reach for the call, and no movement to run the call...  If I put the call away, and suddenly need it, it seems to me, I am defeating the purpose.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

I use the "bite the tape" method at times, as well.  I have found that too much of that will fray the tape and reduce the life of the call.  I usually just carry the call in my hand so I'm not chewing on the tape in those instances where movement is not an issue.

cornfedkiller

I started keeping my calls in an empty (beef jerky) chew can and put a sponge in the bottom that I keep moistened with non-alcohol mouthwash.  It keeps the calls moist so the reeds don't stick together, and also keeps them clean and disinfected so they don't get a bunch of junk growing on them.

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: davisd9 on February 13, 2016, 11:02:16 AM
Almost to parking spot I stick call in my mouth, I get to tree and bird hits ground, I call, I keep call in my mouth whole time I hunt unless i get tired of having in in my mouth, at that time or after the hunt I stick it in my vest mouth call holder and it stays there until I use it again and that may be the next season. Never had a problem with this method and usually wear them out rather than any other issue. Mouth calls are probably the call I use the most but it is the one I dislike the most. They are easy to run but everybody and their brother is yaking on one.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Dr Juice

I rinse them with water when I return to camp and let them air dry until my return to the woods. Never had a problem. Good luck.