OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What will you do differently this season?

Started by Mike Honcho, February 05, 2016, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Consentrate more on my surroundings even before the hunt begins. Know where all my openings are without obstacles in a 360 degree circle around me. Concentrated so hard on the bead last year and blurred out a 3in sapling, killed the sapling.

Cutt

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 05, 2016, 06:52:40 PM
Don't really know what to do different.  Last spring I hunted 4 days till I heard a gobble!  Killed that bird then hunted the rest of the spring without hearing another.  Worst season of my hunting life by far!!  I guess this year I'll pray to the turkey gods a bit more!

Locate more birds and different areas before the Season, so when they are quiet, you'll still have confidence they are there.

OldSchool

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 05, 2016, 06:52:40 PM
Don't really know what to do different.  Last spring I hunted 4 days till I heard a gobble!  Killed that bird then hunted the rest of the spring without hearing another.  Worst season of my hunting life by far!!  I guess this year I'll pray to the turkey gods a bit more!

I can relate. I don't know about your area of the state, but birds were all but nonexistent here around the house last spring. The population had been going downhill for the past several years, but last spring was pitiful. I couldn't get out scouting, so I didn't realise just how bad it was. I killed a bird on the third day and when it dawned on me how few birds were around, I quit hunting. Hopefully things are better this year. Good luck!

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

quavers59

Well, I found a SUPER area on public land! And for once, I found a goldmine- before the May 1st opener in New York-LOL!  This great area is very open --except for briars in different areas. They are not that thick and the turkeys can weave their way through---but a hunter with just camo pants on will come out with cut-up thighs and calves! I scouted this area just this morning for 2 hours and had on my brown pheasant-briar pants. I will have to wear them also for turkey hunting in this area as well. Maybe spray some olive green paint on them to break up the brown. No trails in this area. I do not think it gets hunted hard as the one thing that Spring turkey hunters avoid  are areas with briars.

Honolua

Cut N Run

I have yet to kill a gobbler on the 120 acre farm I occasionally hunt that's 8 miles from the house.  I've seen hens and a few jakes there, but no longbeard (yet).  Last year on the day I notched my final tag at some public land a few counties away, the farm owner called as I was driving home and asked me if I intended to come kill the huge gobbler in her lower field that has been standing there gobbling for the past hour.  :angry9: I'm going to try to make this the year I break the ice out there.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Dtrkyman

Probably nothing, hunt as much as possible!

Mike Honcho

As season gets closer I find I am doing some things different I haven't even planned on....

Guns...usually I am ready and set up, loads, chokes, sighted in etc.   This year I changed up some guns and am doing musical chairs with adjustable sights and I ordered a Simmons 1.5 - 4X Pro Diamond Shotgun Scope for my Stoeger 3500 (since I already had a scope mount for it). Ended up with Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Stoppers on my Super Black Eagle...came off my BPS 10.

Also bought a Turkey Lounger chair and will be using that some instead of my web seat with short folding legs. 

Dmason3

Hopefully call one in with my mouth call. Still not sounding good yet...might have more luck calling in geese than I do a turkey haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

I'm just hoping to call one in. This is going to be my first season, so I honestly don't care if it's a jake or a world record. I just want to call one in and hopefully get a shot off.

fallhnt

WMN2,I thought your avatar meant that the states in red where the only states left to complete your US slam. Good luck to you this season. As for me...hunt all the early seasons I get permits for in IL. so I don't have to put up with the mushroom hunters and all the other safety issues the public land I hunt has. Makes me want to hunt only on days with thunder storms.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

OldSchool

Quote from: wmn2 on March 09, 2016, 09:53:18 PM
I'm just hoping to call one in. This is going to be my first season, so I honestly don't care if it's a jake or a world record. I just want to call one in and hopefully get a shot off.

I hope you have a great season, good luck. :anim_25:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

wmn2

Quote from: fallhnt on March 09, 2016, 10:50:14 PM
WMN2,I thought your avatar meant that the states in red where the only states left to complete your US slam. Good luck to you this season. As for me...hunt all the early seasons I get permits for in IL. so I don't have to put up with the mushroom hunters and all the other safety issues the public land I hunt has. Makes me want to hunt only on days with thunder storms.

No it's each sate the team members for my team in the contest are from. I'm public land only too so I just hope to not have any run ins with crazies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

Hunt more and spend more time with my son. This will be his last year to hunt spring gobblers with me for a few years as he has accepted an appointment to the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. His mom and I are very proud of him as it has been a long difficult process for all of us. I am a Army veteran as was my father, grandfather, great grandfather and great-great grandfather but at this point I must say  AIM HIGH, GO AIR FORCE!!! :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

cohuttariverrat

Thank you and your family for the service for our freedom wildtigertrout!

Not leave candy wrapers in the vest for the rats to chew holes trying to get to it.
Find lonely tom's instead of hened up ones.
Evening hunt more.
Take my son more.
Call less.