Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What will you do differently this season?

Started by Mike Honcho, February 05, 2016, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

This time of year I'm always thinking about what I can do differently this season for more success.

Here's a couple on my list:

Hunt the 80 acre place near my hometown (4 hours away) more...just got  rights back to hunt it last year....took a big Rio there and there were several more toms on it.

I hunt mostly agricultural  fields....might consider a strutter decoy this year for times I use decoys.

Hunt the new ground I picked up last year near where I live more....in heat of season I went to my old faithful places and didn't spend as much time getting familiar with the new ground.

Thinking about video taping some hunts this year for first time.

wvlimbhanger

Great thread.

Our season will now be opening up a week sooner here in WV.  I'm hoping that will mean better and more aggressive responses from field birds to my stutter or jake decoy so they will be out more this coming spring.

I'm also going to try my hand at filming hunts as well.

I've got 2 scratch boxes on order from SS calls, I'm anxious to call in a bird with a style of call I have never used before.

I often get in a rut and try to hunt the same place a few days in a row.  That turns into being consumed with a certain bird or two and I end up missing out experiencing the spring at different farms.  It will be tough but I'm gonna try to not spend too much time after one particular bird.

LaLongbeard

Every year in Feb-Mar. I scout new areas of public land I order topo maps of the new area and mark roads I've been down areas I've scouted. Then late March right before the season I go as often as I can and listen for gobblers in the new spots and the old familiar. I've been doing this for over 10 years and have a pile of maps and different places to hunt. It will really pay off this season because I will probably work every day right up till opening day.I hate to miss the early scouting its one of my favorite things to do almost as much as the hunt itself.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

old frank

When I am at my friends farm hunting turkeys I want to have more patience.

I am going to try to keep hunting after 11:00 am when it is getting warm even knowing that the five acre pond is full of good size bass that just want to smash something. :)

hotspur

Pre season, scout more and smarter.during the hunt, sit longer. :boon:

dirt road ninja

Try and make the most of the time that I do get to hunt.

The Woodsman

slwayne

I got a new scratcher from the SS boys as well and will be trying to incorporate that into my calling arsenal.

I hunt public land in SE Michigan and have a couple of spots that have been very productive for me over the years so I tend to really concentrate my efforts on those spots.  This season I hope to explore some of the other state land areas within my hunt zone.

The last three seasons I have been very fortunate to work with a local not-for-profit group that provides hunting and fishing opportunities for disabled vets.  Three years running I have been able to hook up with one of their members and call a gobbler in for them.  Hoping to keep that up this season and maybe host one or two more.

Happy

Scout. Haven't done that in over ten years. The hunting club I am on has timbered a large quantity of my favorite spots so I need to move on. Want to scout new publication land spots as well cause my old ones aren't as good as they used to be. Less birds.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

357MAGNOLE

I am going to be more patient and less persistent with my calling.  I think last year I called way to much, called wrong calls at the wrong times. 

I did not use my ears to just listen to the woods and I was too excited the couple times birds where around.... Not sure how to change that last part, but I definitely need to calm down and think more about the situation at hand instead of just reacting.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

WisTurk

I definitely need to scout more (even though it's tough to do when my hunting grounds are 3.5 hours away).  And definitely work on getting more camera time in my hunts.

born2hunt

I plan on burning some more vacation time at work !!! But that's not really anything different.
I do want to hit the public land a little harder this season though.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Jbird22

Well it looks like I'll be doing a lot more driving to hunt since my lease and public land close to home have the lowest turkey #'s I've ever seen. It's gotten so bad I'm close to calling it an un-huntable population.  :'(

buzzardroost

I'll be burning more vacation time. I'm hunting a new WMA in Alabama for the opener and plan to hunt my local WMA a lot more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldturk

not get hung up on one bird,like last year