OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What will you do differently this season?

Started by Mike Honcho, February 05, 2016, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

Cover more ground and dont get caught in a rut. There are several places that I like to hunt,but aint worth hunting. If I get a tag that is. I ordered them very late so I have my fingers crossed that I even get an Illinois tag. If not looks like I'll be in Arkansas and Tennessee !
Gary Bartlow

g8rvet

Be more patient on public land.  When hunting a massive WMA, I tend to want to bounce around to much.  If he answers my call, sit there, even if he walks off and wait for him to work his way back. I know it. Plenty of ya'll have told us that works.  Saw it first hand last year on a bird that was driving us crazy.  We had been on him on the roost several times and he would not come straight in. Always went off another direction.  My nephew was working him from the south and I was set up to his north.  The bird flew out by me and worked a big loop and after about an 90 minutes was right back where they had started calling him and they had left by then. I kept waiting to hear their shot. 

Also, try to think like a Tom when sitting down.  Make him look for me (the hen) not the other way around.  I am struggling with this, but I know it is good advice. 

And my number one priority?  Get my daughter a bird! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dr Juice

I would love to video a hunt, but I'm concerned about blowing a chance with a Big Thunder Chicken. My opportunities are few and far in between for sure. I will get the nerve up someday to give it shot. Good luck.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

OldSchool

Quote from: WyoHunter on February 27, 2016, 04:45:34 PM
Hunt more and find new spots!

I need to knock on a few doors around here myself. I've lost three spots in the past five years and another is up for sale. The one that's for sale now is gonna be a heartbreaker, I've hunted it for years.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

RedRock

Be Patient. Had 350 private acres of good turkey hunting on permission from land owners and spent most of my time getting exercise (still an awesome few days) but this year Im going to focus on about 80 acres of permission land and the excellent public i have right here by the lake in Iowa.  Still haven't figured out how to slow down and quit feeling the pressure of filling the tag, turkey season just doesn't last long enough, but then again it wouldn't be as special if it did.  Ready for the magic of spring turkey mornings :turkey2:

Clif Owen

If I get one to answer me; stick the call in my pocket and let him come in. I think I blew a couple of chances by overcalling last year.

DTGobble

Trying to aquire more places to hunt, get my 11 yr. old daughter her first bird.  She's finally wanting to go.

hs strut

Quote from: Clif Owen on February 27, 2016, 10:45:35 PM
If I get one to answer me; stick the call in my pocket and let him come in. I think I blew a couple of chances by overcalling last year.
yep i did the same last year i got impatient and called to much.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

kdsberman

Hunt less, unfortunately, due to having my first child.  But the time I go I'll hunt harder than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benl

I am brand new to turkey hunting and have no one to really show me the ropes. Last year, I had toms calling all around me, but couldn't get them to come in (I did bring in a hen, though.) I did a little research, and it looks like I was calling too much.

I also picked up a jake decoy to go with my hens, in the hopes that in may bring in a jealous tom. I'm also going to scout the public land right near my house and see if I can find some roosting spots.

TRG3

When I'm squirrel hunting in late summer/early fall, I'm always scouting for deer and turkey. This past season revealed turkeys at two new locations which I'm planning to hunt first with some of my older stand-by spots as backups. A couple of trips just before the season opens hopefully will reveal the habits of these birds so that I'll know where to set up on opening day. The challenge of trying to outsmart turkeys is what makes hunting them so much fun!

Sixes

Farmboy27

Don't really know what to do different.  Last spring I hunted 4 days till I heard a gobble!  Killed that bird then hunted the rest of the spring without hearing another.  Worst season of my hunting life by far!!  I guess this year I'll pray to the turkey gods a bit more!

Ericbrooks

#1 Take my son
#2 Spend more time bowhunting.