OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mossy 835 any advantage to shooting 3.5" shells

Started by bigcountry25, January 21, 2016, 08:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry25

Got a new Mossy 835 turkey gun and it is my first gun that will shoot 3.5" shells and I am wondering what if any advantage there is to shooting 3.5" loads?

Here is my setup Mossberg 835 with Indiana Creek choke and the loads I am thinking about are Hevi-shot 3.5" in #5's or #6's and I have not ruled out the Mag. Blends.

Thanks

Bowguy

The advantage is in a more dense pattern if it doesn't blow up. 835s have open forcing cones and a ten ga barrel. Pattern the gun n see. Many guns like 3" better but the 835s I've seen do 3-1/2" shells justice

Clif Owen

You need to try the gun with both 3 & 3 1/2" shells to see for certain. Sometimes they will blow the pattern with the longer shells. I have 2 of them and both do well with either shell. I would also recommend at least trying some 7's if they are legal in your state. Also, I've seen a choke or 2 that didn't do well with one size or another; making patterning essential.

About the 7's: I used them last year and was fortunate enough to shoot 2 birds, both at aroud 37 or 38 yards. Both dropped right there with no flopping on one and the other might have beeen the same way but I jumped up and grabbed him to be sure.  He started flopping when I grabbed him. First one of the year and I was taking no chances!

davisd9

You have a good setup with that gun and choke.  I prefer the Hevi 6s in 3.5".
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

bigcountry25, I have the same gun along with a 935 and I've done a fair amount testing with various choke and loads chasing numbers. There is an advantage in the 3.5 of more pellets per load. Yes, some chokes will blowout 2.25 oz loads, but I don't think you will see that with the IC. That happens to be my most consistent with every load I've tried in both my Mossys. I would throw away the idea of testing 5's in HTL as they lack pellet count for truly impressive patterns and they are overkill, no need for shot that size with HTL. 6's, 7's or the Magblends is where I'd start. I also have a hard time believing that more bb's are bad. What I do/did was research loads, pick one I liked then made my gun shoot it though changing chokes.

bbcoach

25, I have the 835 as well and have only shot 3.5's out of it.  I like the dense patterns the 835 throws with the 3.5's.  With the .675 Indian Creek you have a GREAT turkey killer with Hevi 6's or 7's.  I shoot the 7's and have been well satisfied.  I killed a South Dakota Merriam two seasons ago at 38 lasered yards and the bird never moved after the shot.  Do we need the 3.5's, no.  If the recoil isn't manageable then drop down to the 3's with the 6's or 7's.  Personally, I don't even notice the recoil when a bird is in my sights though.  Pattern a couple of each and decide what you prefer.  Good Luck.

allaboutshooting

The Mossberg 835 was designed originally as a waterfowl gun and Mossberg engineers collaborated with engineers from Federal who designed a 3.5" shell to fit it. That all came about due to the Federal mandate to eliminate lead shot for waterfowl. At that time, steel shot was terrible and the thought was, "Okay it's bad but let's just throw a bunch of it out there to compensate for how really bad it is." The larger payload of the 3.5" shell allowed more shot to be thrown out there and it helped to some extent.

Thankfully, shotshell makers soon learned to make better steel shot loads, Hevi-Shot came along and the need for those very large payloads was not as urgent as it had been.

Mossberg knew a good thing when it had one, as did Federal, so they again got together and developed some 3.5" turkey loads to go into some camo patterned 835 turkey guns and the rest is history.

The 835 is one of the few guns actually designed (other than having a longer chamber) for 3.5" shells. Today however, there are many 3" shells that throw such great patterns that the need for a 3.5" gun, certainly and 3.5" turkey gun, has lessened. They both shoot just as far, the differences are number of pellets and recoil.

Many shooters discount the recoil factor and just plain like to shoot 3.5" shells in their guns. They get good patterns from them in their guns and see not reason whatsoever to change. If it works, don't fix it, and I completely understand that.

I recommend that you try 3" shells first and see how your patterns look. If they are good, I'd recommend that you stay with the 3" shells. My reasons are pretty simple. The 3" shell kicks less which can allow you to stay on target if you want or need a second or third shot. The 3" shell is less likely to cause you to develop a flinch when patterning or hunting. It's easy to develop a flinch and pretty tough to get rid of one. The shells cost a little less.

Whatever you do, I really recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of that 835. That gun is the reason I developed the process and it's helped many dedicated 835 shooters to optimize their patterns. Here's a link to that process http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

Again, congratulations. You have a fine turkey gun that should give you many years of excellent service.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bowguy

Clark I dont know who you are but you always have good information. I've been at it for a long time n I still pick up things from you. Thanks buddy

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bowguy on January 21, 2016, 01:46:29 PM
Clark I dont know who you are but you always have good information. I've been at it for a long time n I still pick up things from you. Thanks buddy
You're welcome.

I'm just an "old guy" who's also been around for a long time.

I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdsberman

I agree with this statement.  I would reply to the OP, but Clark pretty much nailed it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chatterbox

I like the 3" shell in 3-2-7 Hevi-13. Less recoil, and good bird killing patterns.

turkeywhisperer935

Alot of people I know bash on mossberg because it is a so called ( cheap gun). I hate to inform them that just because it don't cost 1,400 dollars don't mean it won't kill. My 935 out patterns most of their benelli's too. Mossberg is where it's at in my opinion.

Bowguy

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on January 22, 2016, 07:18:35 PM
Alot of people I know bash on mossberg because it is a so called ( cheap gun). I hate to inform them that just because it don't cost 1,400 dollars don't mean it won't kill. My 935 out patterns most of their benelli's too. Mossberg is where it's at in my opinion.
I haven't heard anyone bash the 835 or 935s. Mossberg is a more inexpensive company n that's a good thing. Exceptional patterns in a gun we can all afford. The patterns are very often if not always superior to other guns. I've carried a 835 exclusively since the early 90s.
Don't worry if someone else doesn't like em, that's why gun shops sell more than one

kdsberman

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on January 22, 2016, 07:18:35 PM

I agree.  My 835 had NEVER missed a turkey nor has ever malfunctioned.  Although those more expensive guns are nice I do personally know some people that will buy them just to say they have them.  Id rather have my trusty 835 any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwr

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 21, 2016, 04:06:24 PM
You're welcome.

I'm just an "old guy" who's also been around for a long time.

I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks,
Clark
He's being modest!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: