OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

And they've returned.........

Started by jakesdad, January 11, 2016, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

if anyone is on book face go to the closed group turkey Hunting and join. Latest post is how far will you shoot a turkey. Other than me stating max 40 and why, most all responses were 60-70 yes with a few 80s(yes 80)thrown in. After my rant I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals but I don't care.i know there are several who have worked up legit 50 yarders but it's getting ridiculous. Thank you TV for taking this sport from how close can we get to how far can we shoot.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

saltysenior

in the future there will be a round like the fuzzed anti-personal shell......you set the distance , let say 134 yrds., shoot and the canister of shot explodes over the turkeys head at 133 yrds....I heard Hevi shot is working on it...   :OGturkeyhead:

guesswho

Today's technology allows people to dumb down almost anything.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hs strut

Quote from: jakesdad on January 11, 2016, 07:21:33 PM
if anyone is on book face go to the closed group turkey Hunting and join. Latest post is how far will you shoot a turkey. Other than me stating max 40 and why, most all responses were 60-70 yes with a few 80s(yes 80)thrown in. After my rant I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals but I don't care.i know there are several who have worked up legit 50 yarders but it's getting ridiculous. Thank you TV for taking this sport from how close can we get to how far can we shoot.
yeah i commented on that myself i also said 40 yds i also tried to explain why i dont want to shoot past 40yds example to many variables that could wind up with a wounded bird. i also saw where one dude was claiming 84 yds i call bs
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

jakesdad

Quote from: hs strut on January 11, 2016, 09:46:04 PM
yeah i commented on that myself i also said 40 yds i also tried to explain why i dont want to shoot past 40yds example to many variables that could wind up with a wounded bird. i also saw where one dud was claiming 84 yds i call bs
I'm guessing a lot of these guys don't know what yards really are or they are extremely lucky. I don't dispute the fact with components available today that turkey killing patterns are achievable at very long distances. Doesn't mean it you need to shoot that far. Like you said,and I agree, lots of variables come into play when you stretch yardage. I must be turning into an old fuddy duddy at the ripe old age of 44 because I just don't understand what was wrong with the old ways of hunting turkeys we grew up with.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

hs strut

Quote from: jakesdad on January 11, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
Quote from: hs strut on January 11, 2016, 09:46:04 PM
yeah i commented on that myself i also said 40 yds i also tried to explain why i dont want to shoot past 40yds example to many variables that could wind up with a wounded bird. i also saw where one dud was claiming 84 yds i call bs
I'm guessing a lot of these guys don't know what yards really are or they are extremely lucky. I don't dispute the fact with components available today that turkey killing patterns are achievable at very long distances. Doesn't mean it you need to shoot that far. Like you said,and I agree, lots of variables come into play when you stretch yardage. I must be turning into an old fuddy duddy at the ripe old age of 44 because I just don't understand what was wrong with the old ways of hunting turkeys we grew up with.
i agree its a good chance that they are misjudging distance but still it seems like its more turkey shooting than turkey hunting if ya know what i mean
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Happy

Unfortunately today shooting something at "long range" seems to be something to brag about. Yeah, technology is great but nowadays it seems that everyone is trying to see how far they can push it and be a portray it as skill. It's luck pure and simple at extended ranges with a shotgun and for every kill that these guys brag about several other birds were lost and never mentioned. You hardly ever have a bird escape a long range shot untouched. The pellet spread is too wide. Yeah I love the way hevi shot plants a bird. But can I put 10-15 pellets in a turkeys head and neck at 75 yards every time? Never tried it but I would be willing to bet I wouldn't come close. Just cause the box says it's possible doesn't make it a good idea. People need to understand the difference between reality and possibility. Unfortunately the marketing industry focuses on the wrong one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

Whats the group called? I don't seeing anything on the turkey hunting page.

hs strut

Quote from: Gobble! on January 11, 2016, 10:39:04 PM
Whats the group called? I don't seeing anything on the turkey hunting page.
Turkey Hunting is the name

silvestris

Since today's game has become kill as opposed to skill, they might as well open it up and bring back the rifles.  Ahh, the smiles I have carried out of the woods when many a particular gobbler wouldn't commit to my calling.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy

Wv does allow rifles. And many guys use them on the hunting club I am a member of. Yeah it sucks to have guys driving around and blasting across the fields. My impression of rifle hunters in spring turkey hunting isn't very favorable. At least they are typically honest about the fact that they aren't to good at hunting turkeys. They just want to kill them. That's just been my impression tho. There may well be some great turkey hunters that carry a rifle and call them up close like the challenge of a close range single projectile shot. But I never met a guy that used a rifle with the intention of keeping the game to shotgun ranges. It always been to reach out further than a shotgun.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

deerbasshunter3

I am not siding with those who take long shots (past 40 yards), but I wonder if there was ever a time when people thought those who were starting to shoot out to 40 yards were pushing the limits? Like every other sport, there are always those (people and companies) who like to see if they can push the limits.

This is no different than bow companies and bow hunters no longer limiting themselves to the "standard" 30 yards. There are sights now that are made to be used out to longer distances. Not to mention the bows are getting so advanced that people are able to shoot them out at farther distances.

jakesdad

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 12, 2016, 09:16:02 AM
I am not siding with those who take long shots (past 40 yards), but I wonder if there was ever a time when people thought those who were starting to shoot out to 40 yards were pushing the limits? Like every other sport, there are always those (people and companies) who like to see if they can push the limits.

This is no different than bow companies and bow hunters no longer limiting themselves to the "standard" 30 yards. There are sights now that are made to be used out to longer distances. Not to mention the bows are getting so advanced that people are able to shoot them out at farther distances.

Im not arguing that the equipment,and in some cases the person using them,isnt capable of some amazing things now days. Ive got friends who shoot a lot of archery that can shoot 80 yd groups better than a lot of people can at 40.

My gripe comes in when shooting at those distances is what can happen in a fraction of a second with either the animal moving,slight wind change,lots of variables that make the difference between a wounded animal or a dead one.

What can be accomplished on paper/targets is a far cry from what should be attempted on a live animal.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: jakesdad on January 12, 2016, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 12, 2016, 09:16:02 AM

Im not arguing that the equipment,and in some cases the person using them,isnt capable of some amazing things now days. Ive got friends who shoot a lot of archery that can shoot 80 yd groups better than a lot of people can at 40.

My gripe comes in when shooting at those distances is what can happen in a fraction of a second with either the animal moving,slight wind change,lots of variables that make the difference between a wounded animal or a dead one.

What can be accomplished on paper/targets is a far cry from what should be attempted on a live animal.

I agree 100%.

OldSchool

Makes me want to sign up just to check it out.

I must be a fuddy duddy too jakesdad. It didn't take me long to figure out that up close and personal was the way to go. It's such a rush having the birds within a few yards, and the most important part of it to my way of thinking, no cripples.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.