turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

And they've returned.........

Started by jakesdad, January 11, 2016, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

I'm old and like to read and there is a full page add for Longbeard XR's in a magazine....67 yards I think is the range the pro killed at. :z-guntootsmiley:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

OldSchool

This thread reminds me of a time a few years ago. There was an old gobbler, a jake and a hen I'd been fooling with that morning. The hen fed across one field and into the next, with the toms in tow. I circled around to get in front of them and crawled up to the edge where I could see. They were about 60 yards from the other side of the field and headed towards me. About a minute later I heard a boom from the side the birds were on. The hen went down right there, and the other two birds flew off to my right.

I stayed where I was, and out of the hedgerow comes the "hunter". He walked up to the hen and gave her a kick, I guess making sure she was dead, turned around and started walking away. I stood up and hollered, hoping he'd stop and talk to me, but he headed for the woods.

The jake was off to the side, but I'm sure the old bird standing next to her must have taken some shot too. Never saw him again.

I took the hen home, and all I could find was 1 #2 lead pellet in her neck.  I could tell you some other similar stories too. Makes you wonder how many times these kind of things happen for each bird killed at long range.

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

crow

Quote from: jakesdad on January 12, 2016, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 12, 2016, 09:16:02 AM
I am not siding with those who take long shots (past 40 yards), but I wonder if there was ever a time when people thought those who were starting to shoot out to 40 yards were pushing the limits? Like every other sport, there are always those (people and companies) who like to see if they can push the limits.

This is no different than bow companies and bow hunters no longer limiting themselves to the "standard" 30 yards. There are sights now that are made to be used out to longer distances. Not to mention the bows are getting so advanced that people are able to shoot them out at farther distances.

Im not arguing that the equipment,and in some cases the person using them,isnt capable of some amazing things now days. Ive got friends who shoot a lot of archery that can shoot 80 yd groups better than a lot of people can at 40.

My gripe comes in when shooting at those distances is what can happen in a fraction of a second with either the animal moving,slight wind change,lots of variables that make the difference between a wounded animal or a dead one.

What can be accomplished on paper/targets is a far cry from what should be attempted on a live animal.

:icon_thumright:

catman529

I know all about the urge to fill a tag...I have only been hunting for 5 ish years, I learned on public land and kills most of my birds there to date. I've done unmentionables like shoot one off the roost, I've "missed" a couple that were too far out, I shot one at 50 yards...I wouldn't want to do it again but I have been there... However, to brag about or regularly try shots at 65, 75 yards is stupid, that gets under my skin. I don't have a problem with sneaking around for an ambush when he wont come to the call, but if you can't get close enough then it's best to just do some bird watching and not try to stretch your range and make that risky shot to brag to your buddies about. The industry just makes new products for and advertises what people want, so you can't blame them for making money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk