News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best small talk box call

Started by packmule, January 10, 2016, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Quote from: perrytrails on January 12, 2016, 03:03:00 PM
Great to have a site like this, so much great info and wisdom.

Totally agree!

tha bugman

Subtle- Lynch World Champion
Overall- Primos Lil' Heartbreaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slwayne

Quote from: drenalinld on January 12, 2016, 10:51:03 AM
While deadening the sound board will mute it I do not like the dead muted sound personally. Some box calls are definitely easier to tone down. The first thing I do with any call I pick up is see how soft I can run it and how realistic it sounds with the really soft stuff. One, when in the woods I am always surprised how loud a call sounds. I cannot remember using a call in the woods and wishing it were louder. Two, this is the finishing stuff that gets birds dead. With many musical instruments it is more difficult to learn to play it soft but that is when you are mastering it. With a mouth call it was very difficult to learn to play it softly but sure was worthwhile to learn. I think with a quality box call and a light touch it can be toned down very nicely.

A great choice would be walnut/butternut field grade from S&S. My go-to for years was an Albert Paul Walnut/Butternut prestige grade. Boy does it sound good on the soft stuff.

And I was just ribbing about scratch boxes. Didn't really think you were hating. I just REALLY like them...lol

David, I agree with you on Mr. Paul's Walnut over Butternut Prestige Grade call.  I bought one from him last year and it sure is a nice one.  Sounds good big and loud but you can tone it down real nice too.  Great recommendation.

n2deer

I really like wilpers pocket rocket. It can get really loud also.
I have used them for around 4 years.

ridgerunner

Bob Fulcher makes a shirt pocket call...i got it in a trade last year.. i fell in love with it..excellent soft call.

slwayne

Quote from: n2deer on January 16, 2016, 02:03:00 AM
I really like wilpers pocket rocket. It can get really loud also.
I have used them for around 4 years.

Yep, this is a good one.  I've used one for about four years as well.  Scott's a great guy.  I lost my original Pocket Rocket on my last hunt of the first year that I owned it.  When I called Scott to order a replacement I told him how much my little 4 year-old granddaughter loved that little call.  He asked me her name and when I received my replacement Pocket Rocket in the mail there was a Little Kee Kee in the package just for her personalized with her name.  She loves to have calling contests with Papa.

otinhunter

I also have Scotts pocket rocket and love that box call. I received it as a B-day gift from my wife 5 years ago.