turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best small talk box call

Started by packmule, January 10, 2016, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

What are your thoughts on the best box call (not scratch box) for subtle clucks and yelps.  Any thoughts on box design, size, and wood combos appreciated.

Roughneck

Just my opinion but Albert Pauls pocket call it's smaller than his standard size but will talk soft and can get loud and proud if needed I don't think a man could with one of those at all. Just my thoughts.

mgm1955

:agreed: Practice placing your fingers on different spots on the side and also squeezing the sides of the box to control the volume. Good luck!

trb136

Any well made box will produce those sounds....Just practice practice practice with it.

gaswamp

Bob Harwell makes a dandy small box

SS Calls

Quote from: trb136 on January 10, 2016, 08:09:05 PM
Any well made box will produce those sounds....Just practice practice practice with it.

:icon_thumright:

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: trb136 on January 10, 2016, 08:09:05 PM

I agree.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: mgm1955 on January 10, 2016, 06:50:21 PM
:agreed: Practice placing your fingers on different spots on the side and also squeezing the sides of the box to control the volume. Good luck!
This
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

M Sharpe

Then, after you've done all this, develop a light touch on the call.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

drenalinld

packmule

drenalinld

In my opinion one of the best combos for soft subtle calling.

And don't hate on scratch boxes. They make the soft stuff very realistic.

packmule

Nope, I wasn't hating on scratch boxes at all...
My initial post was just out of curiosity, seems like there are a lot of pot calls designed for specific niches (purr pots, kee discs, etc.).  I was curious what folks thought about a "niche-specific" box call for very soft calling.  I know that scratch boxes are great for soft calling and put the "not scratch box" quote in there to keep the discussion specifically on box calls.  Appreciate all the info.

drenalinld

While deadening the sound board will mute it I do not like the dead muted sound personally. Some box calls are definitely easier to tone down. The first thing I do with any call I pick up is see how soft I can run it and how realistic it sounds with the really soft stuff. One, when in the woods I am always surprised how loud a call sounds. I cannot remember using a call in the woods and wishing it were louder. Two, this is the finishing stuff that gets birds dead. With many musical instruments it is more difficult to learn to play it soft but that is when you are mastering it. With a mouth call it was very difficult to learn to play it softly but sure was worthwhile to learn. I think with a quality box call and a light touch it can be toned down very nicely.

A great choice would be walnut/butternut field grade from S&S. My go-to for years was an Albert Paul Walnut/Butternut prestige grade. Boy does it sound good on the soft stuff.

And I was just ribbing about scratch boxes. Didn't really think you were hating. I just REALLY like them...lol

perrytrails

Great stuff here guys, op you couldn't ask for better advice.

Great to have a site like this, so much great info and wisdom.