OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Speaking of getting hosed on eBay...................

Started by Yoder409, June 15, 2015, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

Quote from: RAJ on June 16, 2015, 09:45:13 PM
For instance,one of the most common is the "vintage"  Lynch Call with Liberty Ms, and Georgia stamps. Some of those are some of the best production calls of the day but because it shows World Champion 1958 does not indicate the date of manufacture but rather the year that the call won the championship.
I have old Ben Lee, Eddie Salter and Lynch and am about to think that I may be "vintage". ;)

Ya whats up with every Lynch 1958 call being worth well over $100? I think some of those people are just throwing stuff up aginst a wall just to see what sticks.

M Sharpe

Quote from: SinGin on June 16, 2015, 10:22:40 PM
Quote from: RAJ on June 16, 2015, 09:45:13 PM
For instance,one of the most common is the "vintage"  Lynch Call with Liberty Ms, and Georgia stamps. Some of those are some of the best production calls of the day but because it shows World Champion 1958 does not indicate the date of manufacture but rather the year that the call won the championship.
I have old Ben Lee, Eddie Salter and Lynch and am about to think that I may be "vintage". ;)

Ya whats up with every Lynch 1958 call being worth well over $100? I think some of those people are just throwing stuff up aginst a wall just to see what sticks.

Yeah really.......I never thought much of the regular ones, but I did like the deluxe grades.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

snapper1982

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 15, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
The seller represented it as made by, and signed by Neil Cost.
The description said Dick Kirby got a license to make a similar call but his were a bit different.

I won't be paying that kind of money for any call, just wondering how you know it's fake?

If it is fake, the seller completely misrepresented it.

Yes but he also stated that dick got the right after Neil died and the op stated that he has a call made by dick but signed by Neil so I am inclined to say that the seller misrepresented the call and did so on purpose

Yoder409

IIRC, there were actually two runs of  paddle calls made by Dick Kirby then signed & numbered by Neil.  The series of 850 that this call is from (and it SHOULD have a leather/fleece holster to go with it) then a smaller series............can't recall the number.

But if you read the screenprinted inscription on the call it says "....sounds so good that I can hardly tell it from one of my originals....."   That is to say, this call is good.........but NOT one of Neil's originals.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

M Sharpe

I thought he obtained those rights before Neil died???
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: snapper1982 on June 17, 2015, 12:55:20 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 15, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
The seller represented it as made by, and signed by Neil Cost.
The description said Dick Kirby got a license to make a similar call but his were a bit different.

I won't be paying that kind of money for any call, just wondering how you know it's fake?

If it is fake, the seller completely misrepresented it.
With the amount of knowledge on this board, I have no doubt they have it figured out.  And the post about Neil hardly being able to tell the call from one of his originals, that pretty much seals it in my mind.
Yes but he also stated that dick got the right after Neil died and the op stated that he has a call made by dick but signed by Neil so I am inclined to say that the seller misrepresented the call and did so on purpose
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Gobbler

Be wary of one of the oldest tricks in the books , shill bidding .....where folks(that know each other and the owner ) jack up the price of a item to lend a air of authenticity and demand -

I've heard by rumor of a few  troublemakers that strongly engaged in this practice, NOT Neil Cost ,  , they would do so for monitory gain AND to blow up their reputation for being collectable , people would just go with it and talk it up etc...

Think of the childhood story of the emperors new wardrobe , where people just went with the flow etc..

I've met Mr Cost a few times , nice guy if there ever was , too bad people didn't pay him what they are paying for his calls today
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon