Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Speaking of getting hosed on eBay...................

Started by Yoder409, June 15, 2015, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: 29810434 on June 15, 2015, 08:09:36 PM
Sounds like a Kirby made call that neil signed.

BINGO !!!

Came from an NWTF banquet.  Have one just like it.  In the heyday of buy up everything Neil madness, this call was worth a grans, tops.  $400-$450 today.   

Seems like quite a mis-representation on the seller's part to me..................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BowBendr

Didn't know an autograph could fetch that much. Wow !

Sent by this stupid phone

Yoder409

Autographed copies of Neil's books will go a couple hundred or more.

Even an original UNSIGNED copy of his call making VHS tape are an easy $50
PA elitist since 1979

mikejd

Hey who knows. Maybe the guy who won it is worth millions. Maybe 1900 bucks is chum change and the call is something he really wanted. I know I have over paid for a few things in my life because I had to have it.

Yoder409

You could very well be right.  But I wish I knew he was willing to dump that kinda scratch on a $400 call.  I'd have sold him mine for $1800.    ;D

Seriously though.....................for what he paid he was close..........REALLY clos to being able to get into an honest to goodness Cost paddle call.   
PA elitist since 1979

Tail Feathers

The seller represented it as made by, and signed by Neil Cost.
The description said Dick Kirby got a license to make a similar call but his were a bit different.

I won't be paying that kind of money for any call, just wondering how you know it's fake?

If it is fake, the seller completely misrepresented it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Like I said in my original post............ "Unless I am missing something"................ which I don't think I am..............

I have the EXACT same call.  Same screenprinted description, same gobbler stamp, same Neil Cost penciled numbering and signature.  Just, obviously, a different number out of 850.  So unless Neil decided that he was going to make call #722 in this series by himself, yet have it look the same as the other 849................  I'm just sayin...............   
PA elitist since 1979

Turkeyman

I talked to Neil back in 1979 and had him make me a call. I really had to think about it at the time because it was $29. I retired it from hunting several years ago because I didn't want to either break or lose it...I had left it lying beside a tree several times over the years and had to go back and find it. It doesn't matter what it's worth, it will be my grandson's in a few years.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Tail Feathers

I'm just curious, I suspect you are right.  I don't think Neil Cost made a series of calls in that large a number either.
Hope the buyer finds out and the seller makes it right.  That's a lot of money to invest unless you are certain of the authenticity.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

eddie234

Buyer beware!!!! I see things on there all the time listed as "rare" "vintage" and they are things that are everyday items.

R AJ

For instance,one of the most common is the "vintage"  Lynch Call with Liberty Ms, and Georgia stamps. Some of those are some of the best production calls of the day but because it shows World Champion 1958 does not indicate the date of manufacture but rather the year that the call won the championship.
I have old Ben Lee, Eddie Salter and Lynch and am about to think that I may be "vintage". ;)

Onpoint