turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pattern is too TIGHT

Started by Shoebuck, June 03, 2015, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoebuck

It seems that everyone on this forum is looking to shoot a pattern with all of their sot in a 10 inch circle at 50 yds.  This season I shot a Benelli M2 with an Indian Creek choke that put 225 shot in a 10 inch circle at 40 measured yds. The problem is that as season wears on the foliage gets quite a bit thicker and your shots are a lot closer.  I am looking to start over with this gun and see if I can come up with a combo that will shoot a nice even pattern in a 26 to 30 inch circle at 40 yds.  This should than be a good killer at 25 to 30 later in the season and still be very efficient at 40 yds.  Anyone else out there who agrees with me, and what are you shooting.   Thanks, Dave

Onpoint

Quote from: Shoebuck on June 03, 2015, 07:10:01 PM
  It seems that everyone on this forum is looking to shoot a pattern with all of their sot in a 10 inch circle at 50 yds.  This season I shot a Benelli M2 with an Indian Creek choke that put 225 shot in a 10 inch circle at 40 measured yds. The problem is that as season wears on the foliage gets quite a bit thicker and your shots are a lot closer.  I am looking to start over with this gun and see if I can come up with a combo that will shoot a nice even pattern in a 26 to 30 inch circle at 40 yds.  This should than be a good killer at 25 to 30 later in the season and still be very efficient at 40 yds.  Anyone else out there who agrees with me, and what are you shooting.   Thanks, Dave
I think 26 is too much shot spread out.

I like a combo that shoots an even 125-140 in the 10

taylorjones20

I like a real even 15"-20" pattern, personally...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

howl

Yeah, I like to be able to miss a little. I "missed" a pile with a Mossberg Ulti-Full and lead sixes. Now that that I've made friends with a little 20ga O/U there isn't much shot to miss with.

357MAGNOLE

There is an on going thread about #7.5 target loads doing great out to 25-30 yard range. Maybe consider switching shells halfway through the season.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

owlhoot

Quote from: Onpoint on June 03, 2015, 07:15:34 PM
I think 26 is too much shot spread out.

I like a combo that shoots an even 125-140 in the 10
x2  And that usually gets good out to the 20" or so,  much more than that and get pretty sparse.  Of course i don't shoot heavy 3 1/2 shells or heavy shot charges with small shot so only dealing with 350 pieces or less.   
By the way what load are you shooting?

Shoebuck

I am shooting Winchester Long Beards 6 shot.  I shot the Benelli Turkey choke with this load and got around 200 in 10 but the overall pattern was only about 14 inches.  Than I shot the Benelli Full choke and the pattern was no bigger, just less shot in the 10 inch.  I have a  Burris Fast Fire III on the Benelli so I should not miss but, a quick duck of the head and I might be embarrassed.

BandedSpur

Winch Gray Box 6s or Fed Turkey Thugs (Walmart only) should give you exactly what you are looking for at  just over half the price.

vt35mag

I use my Stardot .676 majority of the time in my 835, and keep a Jellyhead .690 for a more open pattern.

mikejd

I dont see the need for 20" of error. 10 seems like alot of room to play.
I mean I actually aim when I shoot. I dont shoot at running birds so considering all of the other hunting I do is a single projectile why the need for so much error. I can probably go to a slug and still get most of my birds. I mean we can all shoot beer cans all day with a 22 and when it comes to turkeys we become a lousy shot.

Uvagobbler

I have the same gun and and use a Indian Creek also. With Hevi #7's, it shoots lights out at 40 yards. Great coverage and pattern density outside the 10". I couldn't agree more with taylorjones20.  I sometimes think we get caught up in chasing numbers in the 10" and not looking at wiggle room (15"-20") at 40. I primarily hunt in the timber and most of my shots are 30 yards and closer. I missed a bird at 15 yards on the first week of the season. At that range, with my setup, my pattern is like a softball. I believe that I didn't have my head all the way down when I shot. Definitely not the guns fault. Keep on trying different loads with the Indian Creek. You will find the right combo. 

natman

Sure the pattern gets smaller as you get closer, but that just means the target is closer and easier to hit. Don't rely on pattern spread to hit your target, aim and shoot better. Get some sights - a set of fiber optic open sights will do - and concentrate on hitting what you aim at.

bbcoach

Quote from: mikejd on June 04, 2015, 09:26:30 AM
I dont see the need for 20" of error. 10 seems like alot of room to play.
I mean I actually aim when I shoot. I dont shoot at running birds so considering all of the other hunting I do is a single projectile why the need for so much error. I can probably go to a slug and still get most of my birds. I mean we can all shoot beer cans all day with a 22 and when it comes to turkeys we become a lousy shot.
I agree with Mike and Natman.  Aim small, miss small.  A load traveling at 1000 fps will travel 3 football fields (333.3 yds) in the first second so a head bob from a gobbler shouldn't be an excuse for a miss as the load will arrive to your target in milliseconds as long as we AIM not just shoot in the general area.

owlhoot

I agree with aim small miss small, the problem is a turkey head can move , and while your bearing down, concentrating and pulling the slack out of the trigger is when you can get into trouble.
Throw in the reported problem of Win LB pattern POA/POI movement, you will have to shoot a bunch to see if yours does it.

Shoebuck

Aiming is not the issue, I have a Burris Fast Fire iii on the gun. I guess the turkeys where some of the repliers hunt stand real still while they get shot.  The turkeys here in Pa. tend to try everything possible to keep their beards in tack. If a bird moves while you are pulling the trigger and you have a 10" pattern you might edge him and cripple him.  If you have a 20" pattern you will still get a fatal hit.  If you take the pellets that I am getting in a 10" circle and spread them evening over a 20" pattern you still have a very lethal pattern.  Just My Opinion.