OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking at getting a new turkey gun

Started by KYTURKEY, May 12, 2015, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYTURKEY

I'm looking at getting a new turkey gun. What does everyone recommend?  I'm thinking I want an automatic instead of a pump. I've always wanted a Winchester Super X3 ever since they came out. So, I'm leaning that way. What are some other suggestions? 

Thanks,
Patrick

Onpoint

Quote from: KYTURKEY on May 12, 2015, 09:46:29 PM
I'm looking at getting a new turkey gun. What does everyone recommend?  I'm thinking I want an automatic instead of a pump. I've always wanted a Winchester Super X3 ever since they came out. So, I'm leaning that way. What are some other suggestions? 

Thanks,
Patrick
I picked up a beretta al 391 this year. It shoots great, packs good and perfectly balanced.

I think it's a little lighter than the sx3 but it still ain't no ultra light 20 which will probably be my next gun

taylorjones20

The SX3 is a great gun.  I am currently shooting a Benelli SBE2 and I absolutely love it!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Stick w the sx3/sx2 or browning gold/silver.  They are nicely weighted and they are overbored to .742. This feature tends to be easier to achieve impressive pellet counts with a variety of loads.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: KYTURKEY on May 12, 2015, 09:46:29 PM

Thanks,
Patrick

Hey Patrick,

The SX3 is an excellent shotgun, very light and reliable. The Benelli Vinci is another excellent choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

357MAGNOLE

I love my SX3.  I went into the store for a new shotgun without doing any research (spur of the moment and old lady said do it so I did not dare question her) I handled all the turkey guns and they all felt decent to great, but I also knew I wanted to waterfowl hunt so I looked at some waterfowl models.  For the price, the SX3 seemed to be the best.  It was not overly heavy, pointed where I wanted it too and felt great.

Mine also shoots to point of aim with the standard fiber bead sight, but I am much faster using a reflex style optic. (I get that from lots of pistol shooting)

So I got the burris speed bead mount and a fast fire III. I have it sighted in and did some mild patterning and I was impressed.  The SX3 with an indian creek BDS .665, and long beard XR #6's put about 65 shots in the turkey head/neck area from 40 yards and I did not even have the most dense part of the spread centered. 

I used a primos jelly head before the IC choke and I was seeing about 23 shots to the head/neck area.  Which would get it done, just not as much as I was wanting to see.

Hope that helps some.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

zelmo1

I just got an SX3 Longbeard and I love it. The standard choke is good and the other features are nice. The recoil at the range sucks, but never notifed it in the field. Looks good on paper and has gotten two birds for me so far, 32 and 38 yards shooting 3.5 #5 longbeards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 13, 2015, 01:49:23 PM
I just got an SX3 Longbeard and I love it. The standard choke is good and the other features are nice. The recoil at the range sucks, but never notifed it in the field. Looks good on paper and has gotten two birds for me so far, 32 and 38 yards shooting 3.5 #5 longbeards.

How are those #5's patterning for you, the 6's are doing great but I wonder about their power after 40 yards.... Wouldn't mind having something I know is capable up to 55 yards. Here where I hunt the birds are very very wary 24/7.  I hunt/live on a military installation with heavy traffic.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

KPcalls

I absolutely love my Winchester SX3 Coyote...to ME it's the ultimate turkey gun especially if you shoot using optics. Check it out on Winchester's website.

howl

All the cool kids are getting light 20s nowadays.

Mike Honcho

Saw the SX3 Coyote on Winchester website....great looking gun but looks like only available n matte black????  Coyote hunters at shotgun range need camo more than a turkey hunter.
I'm a player on one if they offer camo.

Honcho 

KPcalls

Yep....No camo. The Winchester long beard gun is camo but it has a cantilever barrel...which I would rather not have.

zelmo1

I shoot #5's and the pattern is even at 40 yards. I am very happy with the gun and ammo combo

matchbook454

I like the looks of that SX3 Long Beard.   I might just have one of those over my shoulder next season.  Need to pick one up and see how it feels. 

FL-Boss

+1     :funnyturkey:   no need to use a 3.5in  cannon anymore...

Quote from: howl on May 13, 2015, 05:46:18 PM
All the cool kids are getting light 20s nowadays.