OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking at getting a new turkey gun

Started by KYTURKEY, May 12, 2015, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: FL-Boss on May 14, 2015, 05:02:14 PM

+1     :funnyturkey:   no need to use a 3.5in  cannon anymore...

Quote from: howl on May 13, 2015, 05:46:18 PM
All the cool kids are getting light 20s nowadays.

I'm still luvin the cannon! But I'm one of the new cool kids now.  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

KYTURKEY

Thanks for the input and info guys. I think I'm going with a the SX3. I don't need the 3.5".  What kind of sight if any do you guys like?  Was thinking about the Speed Bead from Burris.

357MAGNOLE

I need to add into this before you make your purchase.

Make sure you buy a model that is either already drilled/tapped or comes with a cantilever mount.  My waterfowl addition has neither and I am having a hell of a time getting a red dot on it.

My stock broke today, probably my fault but it happened none the less.  I called Winchester and they are going to send me a new one which is great, but they said it was on back order for more than a month and the guy on the other end of the line didn't seem to sure it would ever get to me. He sounded like he couldn't wait to get me off the phone. No confirmation, no nothing. They originally wanted me to send the entire gun back in for a small plastic piece.  Im not overly thrilled with Winchester at the moment.

Other than that it cycles great, shoots great. I cant be too mad.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: KYTURKEY on May 14, 2015, 05:41:54 PM
Thanks for the input and info guys. I think I'm going with a the SX3. I don't need the 3.5".  What kind of sight if any do you guys like?  Was thinking about the Speed Bead from Burris.

The speed bead was terrible. I took it off and trashed it. I had to use a dab of JB weld to get it to hold Zero, and guess what... Still would not hold zero.  Not the fast fire's fault, the mount is not build solid enough. POA and POI changed 6-8" every shot.

Find one drilled/tapped or with the cantilever. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

KYTURKEY

I'm not sure I will even put a red dot or scope on it. I've never had a sight on s shotgun other than the front bead. I will be using for wing shooting as well, so I'm not 100% on the sight. Thanks for the heads up though.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: KYTURKEY on May 14, 2015, 06:59:59 PM
I'm not sure I will even put a red dot or scope on it. I've never had a sight on s shotgun other than the front bead. I will be using for wing shooting as well, so I'm not 100% on the sight. Thanks for the heads up though.
Just making sure you are aware.  I thought it was the bees knees until I gave I put it to the test today.

vman

357, I had the same issue on my 11-87 with the speed bead not holding poi earlier this spring and finally took it off. Very frustrating day at the rage.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: vman on May 15, 2015, 05:48:30 AM
357, I had the same issue on my 11-87 with the speed bead not holding poi earlier this spring and finally took it off. Very frustrating day at the rage.

Yes it is, im now looking at all options. Dedicated turkey gun with optics, buying a cantilever barrel, drilling and tapping the receiver.... I want an adjustable red dot dangit!!!! lol

CrustyRusty

The sx3 universal hunter is drilled and tapped and takes a picatinny rail, that's where I would look.  Versa max is also d/t'd.

There is a mount called a rib rider that attaches to a shotgun rib and I think B-square makes one also.  There is also a sight called the Redring that attaches to a rib. 

I tried the fastfire mount on my Maxus and had similar issues to yours.  I finally gave up and just wound up using the bead.  I may have tried the other suggestions I mentioned but the maxus has an oddly designed rib that prevented the use of rib attached sighting options.  Although mine was d/t'd browning uses a proprietary scope base that is poorly designed and only allows for scope use or red dots large enough to use two rings.  So, I would not suggest it for a dedicated Turkey gun

Good luck