News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missed!!!

Started by chow hound, April 29, 2015, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 29, 2015, 05:14:08 PM
Remember shoot ... then look ... keep your dot on the head with a turkey choke you are shooting a tighter pattern.

I was told to do this only at ranges further than 20 yards. Inside this and your patterns may start getting really tight that it would be best to shoot at the base of the neck which would give you some pellets in the neck but also some pellets in the breast vital area.  yes this is not desirable but close range, pellets should be able to penetrate the breast into the vitals.

bghunter777

I went probably 10 years without a miss and began thinking how do people miss so often. Last year missed 2 in the same day must not have been my day.

chow hound

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 30, 2015, 10:39:01 AM
I went probably 10 years without a miss and began thinking how do people miss so often. Last year missed 2 in the same day must not have been my day.
me too
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ridgerunner

I missed a longbeard last saturday....it hurts, but I have a short memory

RutnNStrutn

Bummer about the miss, but it does happen to everyone, eventually. Keep on hunting!!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: chow hound on April 30, 2015, 11:18:04 AM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 29, 2015, 07:25:49 PM
It happens! Let me guess... Winchester Long beard XR?

Yep!

I shot them the other day for the first time. Scary! Really tight pattern @40. First thing I said to myself is a lot of hunters are going to miss with this new load. Good luck and get her Re-dialed in.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

jepcho

I echo what others are saying.. it happens, keep your head up and keep at them. Went to Nebraska last week with my buddy trying to get our first merriams. Long story short, after hunting our tails off we finally got a bird to work for us the last day. I called him into 17 yards and my buddy just smooth missed him. He was sick about it, beating himself up pretty bad. Didn't help him the fact that another one struck and I killed him 15 minutes later. I kept telling him to keep his head up and that he'd be ok. 4 days later in Kansas he killed 2 Rios in one setup. Just like that, on top of the world again!

TrackeySauresRex

^^^^ Right on! Great come back.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

stinkpickle

Quote from: howl on April 30, 2015, 08:52:36 AM
aim low

Bingo!  When they're that close, I "pillowcase" 'em.    ;D

Onpoint

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 30, 2015, 10:39:01 AM
I killed probably 30 straight without a miss then missed 4 in one year, next year missed 2, next year missed 1, next year missed 4 "longbeard xr's", and here we are this year and im 3 for 3 "knock on wood"
I've got one gun set up shooting double beads that is shooting a very generous pattern. I'm getting around 120 in the 10 and a beautiful 15" pattern. Perfect for hunting.
Then I have a scoped 535 that will do 110 with winchester HV 3.5" 4's, (great hunting pattern as well) I can't seem to find any more of these shells anywhere so I have longbeard 5's in it. It's putting 195 in the 10 and is very easy to miss with in close but will flat tear ones head up at 40. If I can ever stock up on some 3.5" HV 4's I'll never run them longbeards through this gun again

Snoodsniper

Not a big deal....it happens.

cajun1085

Don't feel so bad. I missed a bird yesterday at 12 yards with a crossbow, but made the shot count on the second bird.

surehuntsalot

have missed 4 times since I started chasing this things and I can remember every one of them like yesterday
it's not the harvest,it's the chase