OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missed!!!

Started by chow hound, April 29, 2015, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chow hound

I know everyone said it would happen sooner or later if you turkey hunt enough, but had my first miss ever at a bird standing at 20 yds!  Would have been my 3rd bird of the year and limit for VA.  First year using a turkey choke and thinking I like my big pattern better! :z-dizzy:

Huntingwithahoyt

Here's a news flash for you.....if you continue to turkey hunt.....YOU WILL MISS AGAIN!
This was my 34th spring gobbler season and I missed 2 this year....first ones in a few years, but it happens....and it will happen again! But I don't get upset line u used to because I actually won....I beat the bird at his own game if I had him close enough for a kill shot, pulling the trigger is the easy part (even though I muffed it)
Don't get me wrong I still get that WTH feeling....and I know why I miss.....I get excited watching the gobbler and don't get my cheek down in the stock, which results in me shooting over the bird.
Good luck in your future hunts and don't get discouraged on the miss......Chootem in da face!

Sent from: 20 ft up in a treestand!

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Huntingwithahoyt on April 29, 2015, 01:45:20 PM
Here's a news flash for you.....if you continue to turkey hunt.....YOU WILL MISS AGAIN!
This was my 34th spring gobbler season and I missed 2 this year....first ones in a few years, but it happens....and it will happen again! But I don't get upset line u used to because I actually won....I beat the bird at his own game if I had him close enough for a kill shot, pulling the trigger is the easy part (even though I muffed it)
Don't get me wrong I still get that WTH feeling....and I know why I miss.....I get excited watching the gobbler and don't get my cheek down in the stock, which results in me shooting over the bird.
Good luck in your future hunts and don't get discouraged on the miss......Chootem in da face!

Sent from: 20 ft up in a treestand!

that's a good point about getting your head down.  Fortunately, with my shotgun/red dot set-up I can slightly see the front bead of my shotgun through the red dot.  I sighted in the red dot with that bead center and at the very bottom of the sight and trained myself to first look for the bead and make sure it is where it should be, then aim red dot at target.  it is like second nature to me now and I can do it in a split second.

Dr Juice

Ouch. 20-yards is close! Good luck.

steveo

It happens :( get back at it !!! Missed em closer than that and stool remember it like yesterday !!! LOL

Greg Massey

Remember shoot ... then look ... keep your dot on the head with a turkey choke you are shooting a tighter pattern.

kyturkeyhunter4

:funnyturkey: It happens to the best of us.

owlhoot

Some time you can get too tight,especially that close in. may get a bit gobbler shhhhoook too!
it happens.

Dtrkyman

Missed my second ever this year, sawed off an unseen sapling half way to him!    I have missed a few archery birds though!

TrackeySauresRex

It happens! Let me guess... Winchester Long beard XR?
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

njdevilsb

Don't beat yourself up over it. 

I had a long streak on consecutive seasons without a miss and that ended 2 years ago and also last year.  2 years ago I missed one on the first shot but got him on the second.  Last year, I clean missed one and watched him fly off only to fill my final tag on the last day of the season.

Don't get discouraged and remember, it's probably going to happen again.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself with this post.  Our season opens Friday.

Gooserbat

It happens to the best, I even missed one this year.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

101st501

Just makes you a better hunter next time

spurcrazy

Your not alone!! I missed one 2 weeks ago and haven't seen a long beard since!!  I simply rushed the shot. 
My wife missed 3 straight, but she's killed the last 3 she's pulled the trigger on so I believe we are passed that!! 
The best part of a miss is that you didn't have to punch the tag!!! :z-twocents:

howl