OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lead vs heavyweight

Started by Ihunteverything, April 27, 2015, 11:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihunteverything

Not trying to start anything but was wondering if you had the choice between the federal heavyweight 7's and the longbeard 4's or 5's what would you choose ?

My 870 with the ventilator choke put 193 7's in a 10 in circle at 40 yards and it put 185 #5 longbeards

My 11-87 with the ssx choke put 189 in a 10 with the 7's and 160 with the 4's and 165 with the 5's.

Cost has not part in my decision just wondering what you guys would go with. Thanks !

FL-Boss

I would think Fed #7 would be much higher. ....something seems off.    If you are putting up those numbers on #5 lead... I would shoot lead.

also try Hevi #7....

Ihunteverything

My buddies 535 put up 199 with the federals.

Not sure what numbers others are getting with them.

IowaGobblers

Haven't shot them in 12 gauge but my 870 20 gauge puts up 190s with them.

jordanz7935

From what i have seen, the numbers your getting with the heavyweight #7s are pretty darn good. Especially if its a 3" shell. I would go with the heavyweights for sure.The heavyweights would probably be more forgiving up close than the longbeards.

FL-Boss

I'm pretty sure his numbers are from a 12GA ...not 20

TauntoHawk

I dont shoot the federal HW but i shoot the HEVI #6's over the longbeards.. the LBs are just so tight at close range I worry about the quick off the cuff shots in tight, the room to miss is much higher.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

yella yelper

The energy of a HW #7 is virtually the same as a lead #5.  If you're getting the same numbers, the LB 5's are obviously much cheaper but less forgiving as others have stated.  I'd go with LB 5's just because I'm cheap and the turkey won't know the difference.  Just don't miss

davisd9

I would shoot the fed 7s no questions asked. That sounds like a good hunting pattern and that fed HW will help make up for when a bird does something unexpected at the moment of truth or you misjudge a little. Always be prepared for the worst situation. Good luck

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ihunteverything

All 3.5" shells

I will have to shoot them up close and see what I got 

Thanks for the help guys !

Spitten and drummen

which ever one patterns the best for you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

owlhoot

With the close in problem with the longbeards, go with the federal Hw.

nickp

I shoot my old Remington Hevi Shot as my first shot, backed up with the LB's.  That's what I would do with your Federals that you have left.  After that, shoot what feels best to you and gives you peace of mind cost wise as well.

K9Doc

That's a way killer pattern with Fed. Heavywt
#7's. I have patterned and patterned and patterned,
Never had the Heavywts get over 180.
Go buy as many of that Lot# Shells you can
Find and shoot them!!! Or sell me ur gun/choke/and give me
The secret Lot number!!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

g8rvet

I think if you shoot them both at 15-18 yards, you will find your hunting pattern. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.