turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead vs heavyweight

Started by Ihunteverything, April 27, 2015, 11:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdyblaster

I would go Federal HW 7's no question.  I think they actually hit more like a lead 4 but there's a lot more of them.  Your numbers are great for that shell.  I get around 175 and I assure you they'll kill birds WAY farther than what's considered "acceptable" range.  Don't ask me how I know...  :OGturkeyhead:

BINK McCARTY

IF cost is not an issue Fed H.W ALLLLLL day long!!!!!! #7 H.W has the same or slightly more penetration @ 60 yds. than lead #5 @ 40yds. My PERSONAL experience me & my buddies were doin some jawing and made some bets bout my #7 shot and its power....long story short.....i made $100 after my Fed H.W #7 shot blew THRU piece of 5/8" compressed particle board @ 100 yds. Now,i'm definately not sayin to try and kill @ that distance but the point was to prove you can get more than enough penetration with the smaller pellets ,not to mention that there are 408 pellets in the 3.5" 1 7/8 oz. load. Ifn yr gettin those numbers stick with the #7s....just my opinion. HAPPY HUNTIN!!!!!!

Dr Juice

Both shells are producing great numbers. IMO - If you think your shot may be a little further than 40-yds, go with the Fed HWs. Otherwise, use the Win LBs. Good luck.

Gooserbat

I'd shoot the HW#7.  I've used both and I have killed several with both.  HW kills like nothing else.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Roost 1

Longbeard 4s ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!

natman

Quote from: Ihunteverything on April 27, 2015, 11:40:01 AM
My 870 with the ventilator choke put 193 7's in a 10 in circle at 40 yards and it put 185 #5 longbeards

The number of pellets in a circle is like accuracy in a rifle - an interesting and useful factor, but one that shouldn't be overpursued for its own sake.

If you're only putting 8 more expensive HTL 7s in the circle than lead 5s, why bother?

Although I do agree that sounds rather odd, I'd expect more pellets in the 7 pattern.

foxred1962

When you look at the pellet count in the fed's it shows there are actually only 64 more pellets in the 1 7/8 hvy than a 2 oz lead #5. 410 vs 346 due to how heavy they are you do not get the high pellet count. The federal #6 actually has 36 less pellets than the lead #5. If you like holes in paper go with lead if you're after broken bones and terminal performance then the heavyweight really shines.

I have only used the heavyweights on waterfowl never got my wife a shot with her 20 this year on a gobbler but the old #4 fed hvy waterfowl loads have completely passed through late season geese at 60 yds. We checked because two people shot at the goose and it was banded so the argument insued and we were able to find only #4 holes and one pellet in the bird in our autopsy. The band is on my lanyard :).

owlhoot

good thread , lots of great advise here.

You might look at your overall pattern out to 15-20" to help you decide too.

And try some 25-30 yard or so shots , the longbeards shot scary tight for me at that range.

Gooserbat hit it on the head! Hw 7 really hit them , even out of a 20 at 1100 fps the results are amazing.

Good luck with your choice.

Longshanks

Quote from: owlhoot on May 31, 2015, 01:46:16 PM
good thread , lots of great advise here.

You might look at your overall pattern out to 15-20" to help you decide too.

And try some 25-30 yard or so shots , the longbeards shot scary tight for me at that range.

Gooserbat hit it on the head! Hw 7 really hit them , even out of a 20 at 1100 fps the results are amazing.

Good luck with your choice.

Agree 100%. I have found the same thing with Hevi 7's and HW 7's. They turn the awesome patterns at 40 yds but have a larger pattern at 25-30 yds than the Win LB's and more density in the 15"-20" at 40yds as well.