OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First miss (Redemption!)

Started by Full strut, April 19, 2015, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

The worst is a last day of the season miss where you have no redemption and have to think about it an entire year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Full strut

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 20, 2015, 12:07:06 PM
The worst is a last day of the season miss where you have no redemption and have to think about it an entire year.

Thank god that isn't the case! This was our opening weekend in arkansas

hoyt

I missed one a couple wks ago with my 20ga flintlock. The really bad part of that is having to go home and clean it.

taylorjones20

I've missed more than I wish to admit.  It just plain happens...  Get him next time!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

RutnNStrutn

It will eat you up until you redeem yourself. I hope that isn't too long. Good luck.

Full strut

Thanks for the support everybody! I gave the big boy a day break and I will be there after work waiting on him

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Full strut on April 19, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
Haven't been turkey hunting too many years but damned if that miss from this morning is eatin me up!
I joined this club this morning.
More correctly, I renewed my membership!   :P
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

backwater

I miss more than I care to think about.  Hunt long enough, it will happen.

kyturkeyhunter4

Phire Phite

We could go with the bright side and say that if you missed, it meant that you got to work a bird and hone your calling skills and got him close enough to pull the trigger!  buuutt, doesnt make it any better, at least for a few days...

surehuntsalot

I have missed 4 times since I  started chasing turkeys, and I remember each one of them like it was yesterday
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Greybeard11

It absolutely has happened to everyone OR will. I had two in one season. It is something that you never get over.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

darn2ten

In a little over 20 years of chasing them I've missed 3. Two of them were a error on my part and I know what I did wrong. However one really baffles me. It was about a 30 yd. shot. There was no rush or big hurry. I had him strutting and was using a gun I had used many times and knew exactly what it would do with my combo. I was down on the gun, took my time and when he gave me the shot I wanted I squeezed the trigger. He didn't flinch or anything, just stood erect for a split second then took off! Still baffles me to this day. :OGturkeyhead:

perrytrails

If your a turkey hunter, you will see those birds for years. More so than the ones that went down.

I made a huge mistake years ago. Winchester started making a nice 1300 pump turkey gun and I bought one in flat black. It Patterned well and I had taken several birds with it.

A few years later they had a NWTF gun, blk with laminated stock, I had to have one and picked it up a few days before season.

Same gun, same choke I used in my first 1300, same shell. Same barrel length. You guessed it, Didn't bother to pattern it.

Called in a bird to 30 yards wide open, standing still head straight up.

When I shot a sapling a foot to the right fell over, yes a foot away at 30 yards. Baffled I headed off to the range. I found out the barrel ring was welded on crooked. Vent rib on the barrel was off from the receiver.

Never go to the woods with out a proven gun. I see him every time someone mentions a miss. It wasn't my only miss though out the years,  but sure is the most memorable one. Live and learn.

turkaholic

Missing is God's way of keeping us humble. I always use this strategy as a gobbler approaches, Aim,Aim,Aim,Aim,Aim it works most days. Last year I got a nice rope on opening day, the next day I had another in my sights but, I really didn't want to kill another so soon, so I missed. Got into my own head. I never got to kill another bird that year. Lesson learned, when the gods send you a gift , take it.
live to hunt hunt to live