OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Successful weekend!

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 11, 2015, 02:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

10.25" beard. 1 1/8" spurs. 20 lbs.

jblackburn

:you_rock: THERE YA GO!!  Good job! Congrats on a great bird!! What's the story?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

g8rvet

Suweet.  Spill the beans! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

101st501

alloutdoors

STP22

jepcho

Nice bird!  Would love to hear the story

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BABS9

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

beagler

Never Misses

deerbasshunter3

After not hearing any birds gobble on the side of the property we were on, we made our way about 400 - 500 yards down the edge of the swamp, where some were firing off. We set the decoy out at an intersection on the edge of the swamp, and posted up on a couple of trees. We were sitting about 20 yards apart, being that there were not many good trees for both of us to sit near each other. I was sitting on a tree on a hedgerow that cut down the middle of two farm roads between some small pine sets, and my cousin was sitting in the small pines to my left. This bird must have come out of nowhere, because he never answered us until he came out of the swamp. The first time he hammered, he was only about 50 yards to my right and forward, about 1:30 on a clock, on the road that goes down the edge of the swamp. I was thinking he was going to come down the road to my hen, so I sat there, gun up and ready for a good ten minutes. I then saw him walk into the patch of small pines to my right, heading straight down to my right about 50 yards away. Every time we would call he would get fired up, but he was still not interested in coming to us or the decoy. He got to the edge of the pines where they meet some tall grass, and for some reason, stopped and turned around. At this point, I noticed my cousin slowly crawling to get in position. I was watching the bird the entire time and knew he was coming back, but I also knew that he probably wasn't going to cut in front of me, which would be the ideal shot. At this point, I had to make a move. When I slowly tried to get turned to my right, my leafy suit pants got caught on some old barbed wire that I happened to sit down on. After about five minutes of slowly adjusting (I still don't see how he didn't see me move), I finally got turned around, but was not in an ideal comfortable position to make a shot. I had a little more than a softball sized hole in some small limbs to shoot through. Lucky for me, though, he stopped right in that hole, about 30 yards to my right in the pines. I put my sights on him, and boom! I don't know what caused him to stop and turn around, but I am glad that he did!

Snoodsniper

Bowguy

Congrats bud, awesome bird