OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey chair while running and gunning, or just sitting.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 08, 2015, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

I have the old Lo Boy Lite seat I bought from the NWTF shop years ago and unless I'm in a blind I have it with me. I have modified mine a bit but it sets up fast and is comfortable, use it on my run & gun hunts too.

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

If I am going to do a long afternoon sit, then I take my chair.  If not then I am taking a small cushion with me

Dr Juice

I haven't tried one yet but may consider it since I'm getting older.  :toothy9:

Va3toes

Quote from: makova on April 09, 2015, 04:00:00 PM

i have the stools and the lounger chairs and many pads, heavy bulky and not enough!!
then i found this chair i love it small, weighs less the a decoy and sets up in 60 seconds and i can sit for 4 hours easy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7KCy9PiKuQ
This looks pretty nice. Think I'll give it a try this year.

g8rvet

Pick a big tree and move slow in that hammock seat.  Shaking limbs will spook a gobbler.  Don't ask me how I  know (it was actually my nephew, not me, but I watched the gobbler on the limb and then he flew down to him).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

silvestris

Comfort is great, but when you consider a lounger type seat, try to visualize what the gobbler will see as he comes into range.  I was hunting with a lad one morning and set him up about ten yards in front of me; the gobbler topped the ridge and immediately flushed.  I walked to where the gobbler was when he flushed and looked back at the young man.  His lounger stuck out like a sore thumb that hadn't been there the last time the gobbler had been in that location.  As Joe Hutto described in his book, Illumination in the Flatwoods, turkeys are frequently disturbed by changes in their environment.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

greencop01

:camohat:

I use an Avery power Seat, at 2 1/2 pounds its light, fits in my vest and has a short backsupport. Fits the bill for me.      :gobble:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

tha bugman

I had one from Browning that was comfortable, but then I picked up a turkey thug folding chair last year on sale and that sucker sat so good I sold the browning one.

Macbee25

I always use a ground chair. I have had to sit up to an hour while a tom struted in front of me out of shotgun range. You never know how long you may be stuck there. Lol

Anobody

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 08, 2015, 08:28:43 PM
Does anybody use a turkey chair when they are sitting in the open, like brush or in front of a tree? I sat up against a tree the other day and had to shift every now and then due to lack of comfort. Has anybody had success in just sitting up against a tree in a turkey chair, or maybe even in some brush in the turkey chair?

i modified my alps turkey chair to where it has backpack straps and everything i need fit into the chair/pockets. My thing with running and gunning is even though yes it is meant to be fast paced doesnt mean the bird will work fast. for this reason alone i always carry a chair or strut seat. Yes the root might be a root in the being of the hunt but and hour into a cat and mouse game and that now a tree growing into your backside  :-[.  even if its a strut seat get up off the ground a little ways and it will pay dividend
Please come follow my paracord creations on facebook as well.   On point paracord
https://www.facebook.com/100037570381935/posts/100617547867258?s=100037570381935&sfns=mo

Full strut

I'm a butt pad kinda guy. Chairs just add to the load with a gun on one shoulder and my turkey purse on th  other  :z-twocents:

tha bugman

There is also a sling seat called a sit drag that is very light and packable.  Rolls up and easy to set up.

deerbasshunter3

I got a Turkey Thugs chair from Wally World last year and used it once. It is great for sitting on a field. Very comfortable. The only issue I could see with it is carrying it around from one spot to the next, kind of like a run and gun type hunt. I also picked up a vest on sale after season from Academy. I love the seat (I think it is 3" or 4" thick) and the ability to get up and go, and just sit back down where you want without having to mess around with the chair.

Basically, the way I see it is they both have their place for different types of hunts. Needless to say, though, I will be carrying both the vest and the chair/fanny pack (also Turkey Thugs) in my truck just in case somebody, or myself, wants to sit on a field.