OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey chair while running and gunning, or just sitting.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 08, 2015, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Does anybody use a turkey chair when they are sitting in the open, like brush or in front of a tree? I sat up against a tree the other day and had to shift every now and then due to lack of comfort. Has anybody had success in just sitting up against a tree in a turkey chair, or maybe even in some brush in the turkey chair?

KY LONGBEARD

I use a gobbler lounger chair. Cabelas has them. I love mine and it's very comfy.

Cut N Run

Because of a bad back, I've been using one type of folding chair or another to turkey hunt for the past 15 years or so.  I like to set up in downed trees or root balls when I can one in the right place, but I've killed birds sitting in the wide open up against a tree big enough to break up my outline.  If you can sit still and use shadows to your advantage, there's no reason a chair by itself won't work for you.

I will caution you that if you're moving closer to a gobbler that has already responded to your calls, make sure you are set up, ready to shoot before you call again, because I've had gobblers sprint in and catch me unprepared.

Hunting without a chair is easier, though it is a lot less comfortable.  I'd be down in my back for days if I tried to hunt without a chair these days.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Bowguy

The nature of running n gunning makes chair use for the most part impractical. I do understand guys w physical problems needing them.
As Cut n Run stated they often come right to a call almost immediately. You hear a gobble n get ready. Doesn't always happen that way buy the more stuff you have to use or set up the more you'll get busted doing so.
I normally use locator calls provided the roost hunt fails. As soon as I get a gobble I'll set up n try to call. Often you'll want or need to move again.
Personally I find it easier, certainly faster and quieter to just grab a tree n not a chair.
The other issue is in my mind it puts body mass at a birds eye height. Slouching at a tree base, your legs are in the leaves n body blends better. Just my opinion though and I do believe in a good butt pad on my vest or hanging off your waist

deerbasshunter3

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have some back issues too and the Gobbler Lounger works wonders and sits very low to the ground. But for running and gunning I'd rather not have to lug it along.  It is always sitting on it first thing in the morning when I've set up on a roosted gobbler, but if the tom doesn't come my way and I head out to look for birds later in the day, I've sometimes left it, or stashed it, and gone back for it later and used the pad on my vest instead.

Gooserbat

If its run and gun no stool but if I have to sit for an extended time I want my stool.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tennessee Lead

I just started using a gobbler chair last weekend. I rigged a gun sling on it for carrying purposes. I hunt extremely steep terrain with long ridges. I have carried it with me over the weekend. Didn't let it slow me down and no rocks or tree roots poking me through my vest cushion. I will have it with from now on. Just can't use it if I have to set up on a hillside.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

mgm1955

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 08, 2015, 09:20:11 PM
If its run and gun no stool but if I have to sit for an extended time I want my stool.
x2

10gaugemag

I bought one of the Buckwing folding stools/chair 10 years ago and love it. 4 short legs that telescope and a web seat that I zip tied a Heat-a-Seat to, weighs maybe 1 1/2# at the most and super fast to get set up. I always carry it and use it if time allows.

TauntoHawk

there is no chance for run n gun I'm carrying an extra 6.5lb chair, I won't sit for very long in any one place and the vest cushion is more than enough.

The chair comes out if im planning on making a longer stand in one spot. i might tote the extra weight if im taking my wife or a kid out to keep things more comfortable for them.

For deer I put my turkey chair and strap it in my gear straps of my badlands pack when toting around the mountains and not hunting from stands.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

eddie234

I use mine if I'm going to sit and watch open areas. I'll set up just inside the woodline and brush myself in. If I'm hunting woods I carry my hs strut strut seat. It's lite portable and keeps my butt off the cold/wet ground.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

hoyt

I roam the deep woods and don't use chair. I took the cushion off of my vest and carry a smaller, lighter Gorilla cushion I used on my Lone Wold Handclimber for many yrs. I just carry it in back pouch of vest and use it sometimes. Most times I just sit on ground unless it's wet. I don't sit in one spot for 2 or 3 hrs..most times only about hr. at most.

But, for hunting with my recurves..which I don't do much for spring gobbler since the turkey population is so low on the public land area I'm hunting and I don't use decoys or blinds, I use a little stool with adjustable legs. Carry it in vest...it adds weight, but don't know of anything lighter.

stinkpickle

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 08, 2015, 08:28:43 PM
Does anybody use a turkey chair when they are sitting in the open, like brush or in front of a tree? I sat up against a tree the other day and had to shift every now and then due to lack of comfort. Has anybody had success in just sitting up against a tree in a turkey chair, or maybe even in some brush in the turkey chair?

Yes, many places that I hunt don't have trees big enough to lean against, so I often have to set up my lounger in the brush.  The key is to find some level ground.  When setting it up against a tree, I have to make sure the rear isn't higher than the front...that's not very comfortable.