OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which gun?

Started by RiverRoost, April 06, 2015, 08:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

My uncle is fairly new to turkey hunting and patterned his original super black eagle. Low and left. Told him options were to add sights or Kentucky windage. He's wanting to get a dedicated turkey gun and not have a super expensive gun and I told him a lot of people on here shoot mossbergs and 870's and could find some good starting points for chokes and shells. Which would yall tell him to go with, the 870 or mossberg and if mossberg which one?

10gaugemag

Both are good guns. I would go with the 870 myself. If I went with a Mossberg I would go with the 835 and run 3" stuff through it. That big bore on the Mossy is hard to out pattern.

drum817

Mossy 835 and never look back.  Put a sims lim saver on it and shoot 3.5" shells. 
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

RiverRoost

Know a lot of folks have pretty good ptterns w the mossys and a lot of knowledge on here about them. I was leaning toward them bc of that but you can't beat the durability of a 870

10gaugemag

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 06, 2015, 09:35:18 PM
Know a lot of folks have pretty good ptterns w the mossys and a lot of knowledge on here about them. I was leaning toward them bc of that but you can't beat the durability of a 870
And a plethora of after market parts. First thing would be a good pad and a Timney trigger set around 3#.

Chew

Quote from: drum817 on April 06, 2015, 09:29:23 PM
Mossy 835 and never look back.  Put a sims lim saver on it and shoot 3.5" shells.

+1 for the 835.

Tom Foolery

I don't have an 835 anymore but I think for a dedicated turkey gun they are hard to beat.  They shoot just about everything good to great, they are dependable and you can pick up used ones on the cheap.  I would throw a limb saver on there and rock on.

lowoctane

:morning:
Since he's used to a higher end gun, an 870 is what I'd look at first in the used market, and if he's tempted by the 835, you may want to steer him to a new one as Mossberg has finally made them a lot less loose and a whole lot quieter. :gobble:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Longshanks

They are both great. I'm just partial to the rem 870. Have three of them and extra barrels. They don't break. I have had one for 35 years and the only thing mechanical that has had to be fixed was an ejector spring. Replaced it as a maintenance thing 25 years after it was given to me. Owned 12 and 20 Mossbergs. They kicked like hell and they rattled allot. I understand they fixed the rattle on the new models. I wasn't getting patterns like they do now. I was shooting lead mostly. Killed allot of turkey's with them and sold them as the gun seemed to get looser as time went on.

HoosierHills

The most affordable Turkey gun I have ever carried was a Mossberg 500 with a kicks .665 GT Choke. that was a tight shooting gun I shot Winchesters out of them. I now hunt with a 835, but love that 500. Put some after market adjustable fiber sights on it, it was deadly. 
Foot on head.

Bowguy

Mossberg no question. Best factory turkey gun on the market w no tricks,

Ralph-NY

870.  Ton of aftermarket part outthere

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

I know an 835 is a good gun but I'm an 870 guy.  Aftermarket parts are everywhere, they never wear out, and with those Longbeards it will shoot as good a pattern as you will need. Look at Jebs, Rhino, or Sumtoy, get a SRT of mag gobble dot sights , and a good sling.  You can also do some trigger work pretty easy if you like.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rickyb

There is a 835 at ft. Thompson in n little rock ar for 239.00. It looks like it was used and probably could tell a lot of stories. I would go with the 870 between the two.