OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best mouth calls

Started by jlewis4390, March 29, 2015, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlewis4390

What is best gooserbat call ? Anyone have a sound file or go to gooserbat call ? I like that they are 8 99 free shipping and can just PayPal it ....was thinking of ordering the state land special or maybe the bacon ....am Also gonna order a hooks executioner

Gooserbat

...try the OsS, but what do I know.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

The suggestions given are all good choices and these are all great guys.  Just remember, though, that mouth call use is not a "one size fits all" deal.  Every one of us calls a little differently.  You just have to go through the process of learning what works best for you. 

Here are some basics to consider: (these are from my experience in teaching many people how to use mouth calls)
1)  combinations of thinner latex (reeds) in a call are generally easier to make turkey sounds for most call users, rather than thicker latex.
2)  the cuts made in the sound reed make a lot of difference in how well individual callers will be able to use a call.
3)  "V-cuts" and "combo cuts" (a V-cut with one side tab removed) are generally easier to use than other cuts.
4)  "bat wing cuts" (V-cut with both side tabs removed) and "ghost cuts" (V-cut with center tab removed) are generally harder to use for most callers.

One final hint:  Many mouth call cuts are based on the basic center (or offset) V-cut.  You can take any call you might now have that does not sound good to you and modify it by making additional cuts, or removing tabs, and often times make a good call out of one that you do not like.  Take some of the calls that you will never use in your "collection" and try this.  You can learn a lot about what kind of call works best for you by doing this. 

jblackburn

Quote from: jlewis4390 on March 29, 2015, 10:59:53 PM
What is best gooserbat call ? Anyone have a sound file or go to gooserbat call ? I like that they are 8 99 free shipping and can just PayPal it ....was thinking of ordering the state land special or maybe the bacon ....am Also gonna order a hooks executioner

As Sam said, the OsS is a good call, it is our new ghost cut and is a good all around call.  My favorite is the Hillbilly, then either double bit or heckler.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Quote from: jlewis4390 on March 29, 2015, 10:07:25 PM
Anyone know if there is a sound clip of hooks or gooserbat anywhere ?

That's a really good question, that is something we might look into.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jlewis4390

A sound clip is actually y I bought my primos hook hunter. Calls ...a sound clip of them would help out a lot I think

dejake

IMHO, I think calls are a lot like camo.  Most of them are made for people.

jblackburn

Quote from: jlewis4390 on March 30, 2015, 09:33:50 AM
A sound clip is actually y I bought my primos hook hunter. Calls ...a sound clip of them would help out a lot I think

The only thing that scares me about sound files is a sense of "false advertising".  We have a member of the Gooserbat staff that is an amazing caller, he has won several Oklahoma titles and called in the grand nationals, worlds,  . . . .  He can make pretty much any mouth amazing.  He's very talented and practices EVERY day.

For the rest of us, we need to find calls that we like, that we can run, that do what we need them to do.  Someone like me could make sound clips and they would be ok, but I might not be bringing out the potential of each call and those that are on this forum that are excellent callers may not like what I sound like and be turned off. 

It's a slippery slope, but I understand why you like sound files. 

www.gooserbatcalls.com

jlewis4390

Quote from: jblackburn on March 30, 2015, 10:01:17 AM
Quote from: jlewis4390 on March 30, 2015, 09:33:50 AM

The only thing that scares me about advertising is a sense of "false advertising".  We have a member of the Gooserbat staff that is an amazing caller, he has won several Oklahoma titles and called in the grand nationals, worlds,  . . . .  He can make pretty much any mouth amazing.  He's very talented and practices EVERY day.

For the rest of us, we need to find calls that we like, that we can run, that do what we need them to do.  Someone like me could make sound clips and they would be ok, but I might not be bringing out the potential of each call and those that are on this forum that are excellent callers may not like what I sound like and be turned off. 

It's a slippery slope, but I understand why you like sound files.
I'm with you man I see how it could negatively affect what people think. ...Guess I will just have to order me one and see if it will be in my vest when ohio season opens

jblackburn

What is it you wand a mouth call to do/sound like?  You like raspier, more nasal, cleaner front note?  Do you need two reeds or can you run three?  Let us know and we will do our best to point you to the call that should work for you.  If you call the number on the home page of the website (918-226-1063) that is Sam's cell phone number, he will give you the best advice, he builds them all.  I can help you, as well.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

jlewis4390

Jdblackburn I sent a pm

chcltlabz

Lyle at Houdstooth Game Calls makes the best ones I've used, and he's a great guy to deal with.  He will customize them for any sound you want, and is a real salt of the earth good guy.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Gamblinman

The issue with sound files for mouth calls is no 2 sound exactly the same. Differences in latex stretch and press pressure, the shape of the callers mouth and the air pressure he presents to the reeds all make subtle changes to the way the sound calls.

I have found that I buy multiples of the same call and run them till I find the one I like.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Treerooster on March 29, 2015, 05:22:10 PM
Denny Gulvas makes a good mouth call. He is the one that makes them Less than $5 a piece (last time I ordered one) and his shipping is reasonable...like $3 an order.

Denny still making calls?  I haven't heard much out of him.  Wonder if he still lives around DuBois, Pa?  He also made a few videos, way back in the day........like 1980?  Used to love his videos, he's the real deal man!

CT Spur Collector

Thanks treerooster, gotta check those sites out. Used to run into him at the SGL up above Magees Mills.  Long time ago, when I could still "run-n-gun" em hills!!!   Great guy!

Thanks a bunch.