OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey sightings in the northeast???

Started by WNY Bowhunter, March 18, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

I saw a two year old gobbler with a few jakes and hens. No sign of breeding activity yet.

Rick Howard

I've been seeing birds .  Seems like everytime I drive out the 90 there are birds by the big quarry just outside Buffalo. 

zelmo1

I did a second scouting run this afternoon and saw some birds. Lots of hens and a couple jakes. One young gobbler/ super jake. 5" beard and no strutting or gobbling.

Rick Howard

Had one gobbling to my coyote howls this morning. 

HFultzjr

No Gobbling over the weekend in my Central PA spots.

It's been a Sloooow year! Normally, they would be gobbling up a storm across the road on the mountain by now. 1 morning  had some activity for about 1st 1/2 hour. Nothing in the evenings. I've seen a few, so I know they are there.

:OGani:

WNY Bowhunter

I had quite a bit of turkey activity on my trail cams over the past week. After what these poor little birds have endured over the past two months, I'll almost feel bad to kill one of them in a few weeks...

Except for these these two...

Heck, I might even kill their little anorexic buddy in the front too... :fud:

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

beagler

Calling for more snow here tomorrow night God Times!  ::)
Never Misses

WNY Bowhunter

Turkeys out all over today, saw several strutters. Despite the crappy weather the birds are getting in the mood!!! :gobble:

Snoodsniper

Had two gobbling their brains out this morning here in north east PA.

Phire Phite

Got a pic from my buddy Sat of about 30 birds, so they're around.  Our average in my area of VT for Jan and Feb was 6, and I don't think we hit a day above 13 degrees for 6 weeks. 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on March 31, 2015, 07:24:30 PM
Turkeys out all over today, saw several strutters. Despite the crappy weather the birds are getting in the mood!!! :gobble:

you seeing many jakes? I'm thinking the birds that took it the hardest would be the ones in their first year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 01, 2015, 08:37:24 AM

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on March 31, 2015, 07:24:30 PM

you seeing many jakes? I'm thinking the birds that took it the hardest would be the ones in their first year

I haven't noticed many, but most of my flock sightings have been from a distance.  I did see a trio of fat jakes fighting yesterday...one of them was all fanned out. Seems to be a bunch of smaller birds mixed in the flocks that I've seen so there has to be some jakes around.

njdevilsb

I'm in upstate NY.  There's still too much snow where I hunt to do any real scouting right now.  We took a ride around a few other areas the other night just to see what was around.  Most of the birds we saw are still separated into hen and tom groups and mostly in groups of 5-8 birds.  We did find one flock with 45 birds that I could count through binoculars from about 500 yards.  The toms were getting a bit wild and they were chasing each other all over the field.  Only one of them strutted.  It was nice to finally be able to get out and see some signs of spring.  It's supposed to be in the 50's for the next 2 days and then back into the 20's by Sunday.  This just won't ever end this year.

sixbird

From South Jersey...I have to say, this year I've seen fewer birds than I've ever seen. Almost none i the fields...I'm hoping that they're just staying in the woods and out of sight. If not, gonna' be a slim year...   :(

zelmo1

Starting to move some up here in Maine. No gobbling or strutting yet. I did see a tom run off a couple jakes yesterday , but that was from a food source not hens.