OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey sightings in the northeast???

Started by WNY Bowhunter, March 18, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 22, 2015, 07:20:57 AM
:z-winnersmiley: What part of NH are you in? The seacoast has more snow  than inland. I hope it clears out. Al Baker
Franklin. Smack dab in the middle! ;D

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on March 20, 2015, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 20, 2015, 07:48:44 AM
Despite getting snow right now I plan on scouting a place tomorrow, need to set out some cameras.

My buddy in NY had been seeing them strutting and gobbling every morning in Greene county. I'm sure a few birds didn't make it through the winter but they are tough creatures.

I expect to see my first strutters any day now.  You sure have a sweet place to hunt over there in Greene County... :you_rock:

Thanks man, i certainly feel lucky and blessed. While I scouted public land here and found one set of gobbler tracks in the snow, my buddy took a drive and put eyes on 23 total longbeards on 3 of the main farms we hunt. They certainly will spread out a lot more as these are farms that winter large flocks
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zelmo1

Saw a small flock in Newmarket but that is all

greencop01

:fud: :OGani:    In southeastern Mass. gobbling activity in Plymouth and Rochester, birds seem to have made it well thru winter, better than wet weather at hatching.   :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

troutfisher13111

I saw a Tom in full strut about two weeks ago in Cayuga county NY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robbartley

I am in northern (as north as you get) NY and saw my first strutting toms yesterday.  Another group again this morning. 

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: No strutting or gobbling yet here in southern Maine, but they are coming out more now. I have seen many more Toms than hens

WNY Bowhunter

Although not an ideal morning for it, I just got in from field testing my new Hooks crow call = my first gobbles of the year!!! :icon_thumright:
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

MACHINIST

Saw a group of 8 toms/jakes last night.2 were really nice birds

Bowguy

I'm from Sussex co NJ right on the Orange co NY line. Seeing birds, strut, gobble, etc. decent flocks but the numbers each year seem to go down.

MEbeardlover

Well, some really good news in central Maine. On my way to work this morning I spotted a flock of perhaps 10-15 burds in a distant field. Way too far to determine sex or any strutting activity. When I got home from work around 4:30 I took a little drive to check some areas that I do not necessarily hunt, but are easily glassed from the road. The first spot held a flock of 26 birds, all feeding. There were several longbeards in the mix, and one or two birds strutting. Other locations revealed more birds as well.

So, despite the very harsh winter, it appears as though the birds fared well. I am always amazed at the toughness and the will to survive. I keep telling myself that if these birds could not survive Maine winters, they wouldn't be here.

Kevin6Q

Just passed a flock on the drive home. The ground still has snow but melted out beneath trees and south facing slopes. A Vermont tom in full strut.

MACHINIST

Saw a bearded hen this am.She had a 6 or 7 in beard,and I saw the same flock I saw the other day.Now I need to gain permission on that farm

TauntoHawk

I don't anticipate record number but they certainly survive better than you think they would. I wouldn't be surprised to see less jakes, the young birds would be the ones I'd think would fair the worst.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gobbler777

Here in Maryland and Delaware the birds are still in big flocks but very visable in fields now. Gobblers are strutting and there is limited gobbling on roost.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland