turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey sightings in the northeast???

Started by WNY Bowhunter, March 18, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

What's everyone seeing around for turkey action? After the worse february on record things were looking bleak....but from my sightings over the past week, the birds seemed to have fared well.  Saw a few different flocks this afternoon...about 50 birds today (17 longbeards in the mix).  Everyone seemed to be far more interested in scratching up the fields than they were in romance. Can't blame them after what they been through for the past 6-7 weeks.  Man, are the deer out everywhere too!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

turkaholic

Seeing birds here in C.T. Also hearing gobbles for over a week now. I was extremly worried but feel much better now. We rent a camp in NY for the month of May and the owner said he has seen a lot of birds now that you can see some bare spots.
live to hunt hunt to live

MEbeardlover

Still too much snow on the ground here in Maine to get a real sense. I have, however, seen turkeys on occasion this winter. Make no mistake, it has been a rough winter. But these birds are tough and resilient. Whatever we do lose, the population will eventually rebound.

Dr Juice

I'm from New Yawk and I'm scouting this weekend. I will advise you of my observations.

BABS9

Im in Western New York and I've been seeing some turkeys in fields. Seems like the winter didn't affect them much. Actually seen one strutting too last week.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: Seen a few in Southern Maine and New Hampshire. I hope it is a good sign. We need some warmer weather to help out.

beagler

Not seeing much at all in my neck of the woods. Calling for another 5" of snow here tomorrow. Still have almost a foot down in many places.
Never Misses

Stickbow98

Saw a group of about 10-12 today moving across an open grass spot (in a southern exposed hillside field). What a brutal past 6 weeks they've survived!
Same conditions and forecast here in the upper Hudson Valley, NY as where beagler is.
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

lmbhngr

TauntoHawk

Despite getting snow right now I plan on scouting a place tomorrow, need to set out some cameras.

My buddy in NY had been seeing them strutting and gobbling every morning in Greene county. I'm sure a few birds didn't make it through the winter but they are tough creatures.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 20, 2015, 07:48:44 AM
Despite getting snow right now I plan on scouting a place tomorrow, need to set out some cameras.

My buddy in NY had been seeing them strutting and gobbling every morning in Greene county. I'm sure a few birds didn't make it through the winter but they are tough creatures.

I expect to see my first strutters any day now.  You sure have a sweet place to hunt over there in Greene County... :you_rock:

chatterbox

Saw 4 strutters and a bunch of hens last Sat. :icon_thumright:
I agree. I don't know how anything could have lived through the past6 weeks those animals did here in NH.

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: What part of NH are you in? The seacoast has more snow  than inland. I hope it clears out. Al Baker

WNY Bowhunter

The birds are definately out and about...but no signs of any strutting action around here yet.  It sure doesn't feel like spring out there today...

MACHINIST

I've worked the last 2 weekends so next weekend I will be scouting fairly hard for turkey and deer.Hoping the snow is close to gone and it's a bit warmer.We shall see.I have seen flocks of birds here and there but no stutters yet