turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Magnum Blend Shells

Started by allaboutshooting, March 15, 2015, 07:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Hevi-Shot is introducing a new Magnum Blend shell that has #4, #5 & #7 shot. I'll shoot some soon and let you know how they pattern. The addition of #4 shot should make them a crushing load but there's just no substitute for range time to let you know for sure.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Now there's a solution in need of a problem.

Tracker760

I wounded if they will name it the Nitro blend?

Hopefully it patterns better than the box of 5-6-7 that I picked up last week. Lows in the 110 range and high of 145 out of 4 different tubes.

Tom Foolery

Hope the shoot good.

If I'm spending money for Hevishot it's going to be on Hevi13 #7's.  I've not seen anything any better.

chatterbox

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 15, 2015, 08:10:39 AM
Hope the shoot good.

If I'm spending money for Hevishot it's going to be on Hevi13 #7's.  I've not seen anything any better.
This. Until I get into handloading, this is still my go-to shell for my 835.

Tom Foolery

I should have said, I've seen nothing better commercially produced. 

Handloads and the TSS stuff is more betterer.

chatterbox

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 15, 2015, 09:02:16 AM

I should have said, I've seen nothing better commercially produced. 

Handloads and the TSS stuff is more betterer.
Tom,

I agree with you 100%. Still the best shooting stuff out of my gun.

Byhalia

Yep great shooting stuff.....I will have to give the new magblends a whirl !!!!   Off to the range !!

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

owlhoot

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 15, 2015, 07:56:45 AM
Replacing the 6 shot with 4 shot...why???? 

the Ward

Quote from: owlhoot on March 15, 2015, 10:04:41 AM
Exactly! Glad I have a stock of older Blends. When I run out I'm either rolling my own or maybe going Nitro's or something. It seems Hevi is always changing stuff and going in the wrong direction when they do. It may explain the lower numbers guys are getting this year with the Blends. Too much of the bigger shot sizes. Probably an economic thing. They end up selling a lot more of the 6's and 7's so they end up with a surplus of 4's and 5's. They gotta sell em' one way or another so they change the ratio in the blends to get rid of them.That would make sense for production so they're not losing money. I don't know if that's what's happening or not, just my theory on why ammo companies sometimes do what they do.

SKFOOTER

:icon_thumright:
Quote from: the Ward on March 15, 2015, 10:39:35 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 15, 2015, 10:04:41 AM
Exactly! Glad I have a stock of older Blends. When I run out I'm either rolling my own or maybe going Nitro's or something. It seems Hevi is always changing stuff and going in the wrong direction when they do. It may explain the lower numbers guys are getting this year with the Blends. Too much of the bigger shot sizes. Probably an economic thing. They end up selling a lot more of the 6's and 7's so they end up with a surplus of 4's and 5's. They gotta sell em' one way or another so they change the ratio in the blends to get rid of them.That would make sense for production so they're not losing money. I don't know if that's what's happening or not, just my theory on why ammo companies sometimes do what they do.
:icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

As far as I know, they'll still have the regular Magnum Blend shells in addition to this one. It will be interesting to see how it patterns.

Thanks,
Clark

Longshanks

It's really hard to beat the Hevi 3/2/6's and 3/2/7's. I haven't been able to find any difference in those shells from year to year. Shooting 180's-200's with the 6's and 250's-280's with the 7's I can't find any reason to need something more. I've shot some good patterns with magblends I just didn't see consistent patterns from shot to shot. Too much money to go into hoping they will work.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Longshanks on March 15, 2015, 11:22:27 AM
It's really hard to beat the Hevi 3/2/6's and 3/2/7's. I haven't been able to find any difference in those shells from year to year. Shooting 180's-200's with the 6's and 250's-280's with the 7's I can't find any reason to need something more. I've shot some good patterns with magblends I just didn't see consistent patterns from shot to shot. Too much money to go into hoping they will work.

I'm also a fan of the standard shells, normally the #6s because I've shot so many of them I know just what they do. I try new shells, just to evaluate their performance because no matter what we think, we just never know until we take them to the range. Hopefully, time and the weather will allow some range time this week.

Thanks,
Clark

petemoss83

I just ran a few of theses through my Mossberg835 today with the Hevi-13 choke, Carlson long beard choke, and an Indian creek. The Hevi choke at 40 yds scored 150 hits, the long beard choke scored 128 hits, and the Indian creek choke scored 138 hits. You can definitely tell there's a big decrease of pellets in theses shells. I shot the 3.5" 2.25oz. 4,5,7 shot and the patterns where significantly less dense at 40 yards when compared to the 5,6,7 shot. The patterns weren't "that" bad and resembled some of the patterns I've gotten with the Winchester long beard #4's. One question I would have is, if the 5,6,7 blend was advertised to kill out to 70-75 yds, I wonder how far this one will  :z-guntootsmiley:!? I m pretty sure Pattern density will be the limiting factor on this load .  :z-twocents: