turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Magnum Blend Shells

Started by allaboutshooting, March 15, 2015, 07:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

I understand from a reputable fellow sportsman that the mag blends are not good this year. Can anyone attest to this? I guess they're not patterning well?

RiverRoost

I think a lot of shell companies are having trouble getting certain powders they usually load with. Atkeast that's the line I got from nitro

petemoss83

Well I'm not sure about the powders but I can tell ya that I've shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 boxes of magblends this year trying to find the best patterning combo and it does seem as if their loading isn't consistent. What I mean is, different wads and shot sizes varying more so than they say. I usually shoot a felt type material with a coated backing that I get from work. It stops a lot of the shot when firing from 40 or farther. So I could see all different sizes of shot including several bbs that would be stuck together. Some shot bigger than 4's and some way smaller than 7's. Patterns were inconsistent ranging from 108 to 200+ hits at 40 yds in a ten. I ran a bore snake through the barrel twice in between each shot trying to keep the shots consistent. The wad differences kind of surprised me. One wad type was clear and would actually tear when fired. Sides would come off half way up. The other type was a grey or light blue color but was clearly a more durable wad. Also patterned better. This has been my experience this year with Hevi shot and I do feel like for the cost, things could be more consistent.

Dr Juice

Thanx for the feedback. I hope this is just a fluke and not what is going to remain for the future.

briton

I posted pretty much the same things that petemoss said about the misshapen shot and inconsistencies for the amount of money they cost yesterday on a thread called, how consistent should a particular load be?

albrubacker

Quote from: petemoss83 on March 21, 2015, 12:12:07 AM
A 6,7 blended load sounds perfect....... Pattern density would be awesome and range would be more than enough!! 
Agreed! I would like to see a load like this. The 4, 5, 7 load should make a good home defense load!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Phire Phite

Hmm.  The magblends were the pattern winner this year for me.  I tried turkey thug 6's, LB 5's, and hevi 5's, all 3 1/2.