OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Picking your starting line-up?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 11, 2015, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

How many of you over think this process like me?  I am going to use a vest for the first time ever and am having a hard time picking what calls to take hunting.  With my old bag, I could put 6-8 pot calls, a short box, long box, trumpet and all my other gear.  I want to limit it down to 4 pot calls but man it is hard.  I have a glass, crystal, slate and ceramic along with a short and long box, a few mouth calls and a trumpet.  I know I have more than I will ever use/need but man it hurts to keep some calls behind.  My question is, how do you pick and do you rotate calls as the season progresses?  I will have 6 weeks of hunting so I know I can rotate calls as I go but picking the starting line up is hard.

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Spitten and drummen

Man I have so many great calls it hurts my head to decide what goes and what stays. Shoot , I have a hard time picking my starting call. I have enough I could use a different one everyday until season ends. But man it's fun collecting them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

It seems to me that you're bogging yourself down with calls.  It doesn't require near that many calls to kill a turkey. Pick a favorite box, a pot (or two) and a few diaphragms that you sound good on and just go hunting.  Turkeys are either going to come to your calls or not. Having a dozen spare calls with you probably won't make much difference. You should be able to make more than enough realistic calls on a few of your favorite calls.  Make it easy on yourself and leave a bunch of unnecessary calls at home & hunt lighter. You can only run one pot, one box, or one mouth call at a time anyway.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Marc

I take about 6 diaphragm calls with me, and up to two box calls...

I just got a new call from Paul's Calls, that will go in my vest, and I will likely take my cheap Lynch call as well...  If it were raining, I would stick with the diaphragms and the cheap Lynch...

I make sure my go-to calls are accessible, and separate from my less desired calls...  I also always stick a couple of loose diaphragm calls in a separate compartment of my vest, in case I somehow drop or forget my diaphragm lanyard.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dr Juice

I agree with Jim. I have to clean out my vest since I have about 4,000 strikers in it  :drool:

DirtNap647

I always do it load it up and by the end of season if I haven't tagged out yet my vest gets lighter and lighter lol don't need this , why take this...lol 

contagious

Two mouth calls, crow call and a gun.!!

tomstopper

Just take my go to calls that have been productive through the years (3 pot calls and a box call)

Gobspur

3 mouth calls, 2 pots, 3 strikers, crow call and that's all!  (Always have a tub full of extras in my truck though)  ;)

alclark2

I try to vary my sounds. High vs Raspy. Soft vs loud. I take 2-3 pots and one box.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Muzzy61

One box call, a slate, glass & aluminum pot call, two mouth calls and a owl call.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

njdevilsb

I carry 1 pot, 1 box, 1 diaphragm, 1 crow, and 1 owl call.  I do get to the point sometimes though where the vest stays in the truck and I carry a diaphragm and my gun and that's it.

eddie234

I only have calls I use so I don't have to make that decision. 4 pots, 1 box a gobbler shaker, 6 strikers and 6 mouth calls. That's all the calls I own.

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: I carry 2 pots(many strikers), 1 box, 3 or 4 mouth calls and my crow and owl calls.