OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Picking your starting line-up?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 11, 2015, 09:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck_hunter21

My vest is out of control at times. I have so many calls, strikers, ect. that I know for a fact it weighs me down. This year I will make sure my vest going into season is much much lighter (I say this every year around this time).
Spill Blood

dejake

One pot, two strikers, because I can't call softly enough with my mouth call, and one mouth call.  I can get different tones with the mouth call.

hunter22

We will be in a Mississippi swamp on March 31st. These will be in my vest, around my neck, and on my side.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 11, 2015, 09:55:55 PM
How many of you over think this process like me?  I am going to use a vest for the first time ever and am having a hard time picking what calls to take hunting.  With my old bag, I could put 6-8 pot calls, a short box, long box, trumpet and all my other gear.  I want to limit it down to 4 pot calls but man it is hard.  I have a glass, crystal, slate and ceramic along with a short and long box, a few mouth calls and a trumpet.  I know I have more than I will ever use/need but man it hurts to keep some calls behind.  My question is, how do you pick and do you rotate calls as the season progresses?  I will have 6 weeks of hunting so I know I can rotate calls as I go but picking the starting line up is hard.
You need a little red wagon to carry all that!  You could put a recliner in it. :TooFunny:
Seriously, just pick the two or three that sound good to your ear that day and enjoy.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: hunter22 on March 12, 2015, 02:57:16 PM
We will be in a Mississippi swamp on March 31st. These will be in my vest, around my neck, and on my side.

Nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

northms

Each day I usually just have two mouth calls and one pot call.  Maybe two pots sometimes (glass and slate). 

Most of the time I never use them all.   :OGturkeyhead:

BowBendr

I don't get bogged down in carrying too much.
1 trumpet, 2-3 mouth calls, a box, a pot call and a scratcher...

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Tail Feathers

I WILL carry a trumpet this year.  I have two beauties and I've been afraid to use them for fear of scaring birds off. :D  But I will try this year.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

owlhoot

Quote from: BowBendr on March 13, 2015, 08:25:55 PM
I don't get bogged down in carrying too much.
1 trumpet, 2-3 mouth calls, a box, a pot call and a scratcher...

X2   In the first pocket , what ya got in the rest???

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Bowguy

Good slate and crystal, some mouth calls. Boxes are too noisy. Scratch boxes take up zero room and are cool so perhaps one of them, most likely not the first calls first day. You said starting. Bet slate is prob it for more guys than not. Obviously and owl n crow. I worry more about forgetting lunch. The birds will come

VaTuRkStOmPeR

4 pot calls, 1 box call,, 2 mouth calls, a Haint, a gobble tube, a wing and 3 strikers.

Most of the time, i work my birds with a mouth call and sometimes ill throw in my favorite pot call if i need to really get on a bird. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had 4-5 calls layed out around me and the bird I was putting the heat on broke and got it upside the face.

Most of the time, if you're pulling out that many calls to entice a bird, you're in a poor position and need to relocate because he doesn't want to be where you are.

Anytime I've had to do this was because a property line was an interfering factor.

Drthorn

I plan to take in (call wise)
Hooks Hootn Stick
Hot Hen Slate
Enticer Silver Thunder
Spring Creek Box
3 mouth calls
Crow Call

I like to rotate my pot calls. Once I have success with one, I'll rotate it out and try another.

Gut Pile

:drool:v
Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 12, 2015, 09:51:26 AM
One box call, a slate, glass & aluminum pot call, two mouth calls and a owl call.

Exactly !! Simple and no fumbling around in the vest since I even stopped wearing themlast year / light jacket with 2 chest pockets and out the door.....and next year I will probably go the opposite direction
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

MEbeardlover

I haven't been at this anywhere near as long as others, but I stick to what I believe I am best at operating.

I always take more mouth calls than anything. Easier to carry, hands free, and I get more practice with them. I then take one box call and one pot call. Figure if that ain't enough, then the turkeys win that day.

Gooserbat

Its really simple, grab a half dozen Goosrtbat Diaphragms, find your go-to pot, then your best "it plays wet pot" (Gooserbat Ol' Hickory Alum), along with about 4 strikers, add your fav box (I got one of them too), owl hooter, crow squaker, shells thermacell, wet wipes, gloves and head net.  Then put either a trumpet or wingbone on a lanyard around your neck n go kill a gobbling turkey.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.