OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Only using yelps.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 11, 2015, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have read that you can call in a gobbler using only yelps.

Has anybody found this to be true?

dirt road ninja

g8rvet

Why would you want to?   I guess I don't understand the question really.  If he is fired up to yelping, I suppose, but if he hangs up a little, I would not yelp at him if he is pretty close.  Not usually at least. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BowBendr

Which yelps ? Gobbler or Hen, I find 1 of the 2 to be very deadly if I were limited to yelping only...

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

deerbasshunter3

I did not realize that there were gobbler and hen yelps. I assume whichever average, everyday yelps that you make with a mouth call?

I just know that on the NWTF website, under the call samples, it says that if you can yelp, you can call in a gobbler.

BowBendr

Yes you can easily call in gobblers using only hen yelps. Many people used to live by the mantra "yelp 3 times and shut up."

However, early in the season, or if spring is late and birds are still a little ganged up, or henned-up for that matter, I believe that gobbler yelping may be the deadliest call you can put on them.
Learn how to gobbler yelp and do fighting purr calls.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Triple Gobble

I have a buddy who only purrs and clucks
And shoots a lot of big birds by just doing
That!!!!
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

dirt road ninja

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 11, 2015, 09:59:37 PM
I did not realize that there were gobbler and hen yelps. I assume whichever average, everyday yelps that you make with a mouth call?

I just know that on the NWTF website, under the call samples, it says that if you can yelp, you can call in a gobbler.

When I first started turkey hunting I went years without feeling confidant in mouth calls. Once I tried to use them hunting the only thing I could do was cluck and yelp. Many a bird died to me hearing one gobble then sneaking close as I thought I could doing a 3-5 note yelp and waiting for a response. If he gobbled at me I did it agian. If he was closer I would shut up and wait. Last year I killed two or three birds using only hen yelps. They all came in fast. I don't think a turkey reasons at all, he is not going to turn away thinking "that hen failed to fly down cackle" or "I didn't hear a feeding purr from that one, run away!" Don't scream at them and if you think you've over called, you did, ten minutes ago.

Marc

I am hunting Rio's in California...

Never heard a live hen purr before, but I know that a hesitant tom has reacted to it a few times..

The primary sound I hear is yelping, and the toms sure seem to react to those live birds...  I have heard hens cut quite a bit, and I have also noted that when they do so, they are on their way to the toms (probably in response to my calling).  I have heard a lot of clucking as well, and it seems to be a contented call.

I have had a couple lone hens come into my spread...  I notice when they are on the move, they tend to cut, and when they are looking for company in a stationary spot they seem to yelp more...  I tend to yelp more, but I have done my share of clucking and cuttin' (especially when trying to make another hen angry).

If I could only do one sound on a turkey call, it would be a yelp...  I imagine this would vary regionally and by species though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

You could choose the not use any calls and just decoy them in fields

You could only use a box call and never buy another call

You could do nothing but cluck and purr on a pot call

You could stalk of out the sneak on birds to get in range

Anyone of these methods could easily produce birds for a hunter every single year. But why limit yourself learn as many tactics, and calls as you can
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 11, 2015, 11:20:34 PM

Anyone of these methods could easily produce birds for a hunter every single year. But why limit yourself learn as many tactics, and calls as you can

Of course nobody would purposely limit themselves...  But, I will say, that I do believe it is better to use one call proficiently than to use a variety of calls or sounds poorly...  I can tell you, that as I was learning to cut or purr on a mouth call, that doing such in the field would have been to my disadvantage.

So I would say that proficiency is a limiting factor as far as utilizing a variety of calls or sounds.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mudhen

Yes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

cahaba

The birds in my area will sometimes respond to yelps but more often soft clucks gets them to the gun. I don't hear much hen yelping either. They just soft cluck. Not sure why, predators or pressure maybe. We have a lot of both. Listen to what the hens are doing.

Spitten and drummen

yes you can kill birds with just a yelp. some days if you sound remotely like a hen , they will break their neck running to you. depends on the birds mood at the time. turkeys being turkeys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

alclark2

Last year I took a two birds by giving 3 note very soft yelps. I threw in a few clucks here and there. These wary public land birds responded very well to it. I called once to every three times they gobbled at me.

For me... Less is more when it comes to calling.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish