OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Only using yelps.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 11, 2015, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I am trying to get proficient at different calls but will always use what works. I believe you have to "nurse" turkeys, take their temp and go from there.

jakesdad

Yes yelps only will work,but remember its always better to have more than one call you can make.Even if you think you dont sound great,dont hesitate to try different sounds.I know its cliched' but real turkeys dont always sound real good either.Remember its more of learning turkey cadence and rhythm than just sound alone.

Gobbler yelps can be deadly also.Same as a hen yelp basically,just a little deeper sound and a slower cadence.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

shaman

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 11, 2015, 08:57:46 PM
I have read that you can call in a gobbler using only yelps.

Has anybody found this to be true?

Yes, and I have. Usually it happens unintentionally for me.  That is, I'll be having a bum morning and be out and about trying to drum something up.  I'll be yelping  every 15 minutes or so and a gobbler will come up on me silently.  The last time this happened, I was out enjoying a warm rainy morning at the end of season, and not expecting much.  I just sat in the same spot and yelped on the quarter hour and read a book.  After 3 hours and enumerable rain squalls, I looked up and there was a gob staring me down at 30 yards-- had me dead to rights. I managed to get a tail feather out of the deal.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Gooserbat

In a word, yes.

Sometimes the most basic tactics ate the deadliest.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

PALongspur

Absolutely. If you pay close attention to footage from Denny Gulvas, you'll notice that he yelps 95 plus percent of the time.

Bowguy

Quote from: jakesdad on March 12, 2015, 02:21:28 PM
Yes yelps only will work,but remember its always better to have more than one call you can make.Even if you think you dont sound great,dont hesitate to try different sounds.I know its cliched' but real turkeys dont always sound real good either.Remember its more of learning turkey cadence and rhythm than just sound alone.

Gobbler yelps can be deadly also.Same as a hen yelp basically,just a little deeper sound and a slower cadence.
I agree w this. The more calls/calling technique you have though the better you will be. Some gobblers may run to a yelp but sometimes different calls will kill that bird when a straight up yelp won't. I agree to w the gobbler yelps and fight sounds. Learn them. Cadence is sometimes more key than perfect sounds

catdaddy

I often am called upon to coach new turkey hunters. Many of them have quite a bit of angst about their calling. I tell them " learn to yelp with confidence and you can kill a turkey."