turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3rd degree must be pitiful

Started by madstrutter, March 07, 2015, 08:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaugemag

I never have had any issue with the FC wad, shoot it from an unported tube as it was intended to be and they work just fine, even work in some ported tubes as my buddy runs them through a XXX Comp-n-Choke with better patterns than #4's should shoot.
All of these ported tubes are a gimmick in my mind anyway, never have noticed a single bit of recoil reduction from one and I have shot a bunch of them over the years.

Tomcat655

Well all I can say is I bought some three inch and slammed a turkey at 43 steps.

snapper1982

:drool:
Quote from: Tomcat655 on April 16, 2015, 07:40:55 PM
Well all I can say is I bought some three inch and slammed a turkey at 43 steps.

So what was your pattern like? Or did you just buy a shell and go hunting?

sixbird

I listen to their advertising and basically what they're saying is that close to 1/3 of the payload is designed to spread out at close range...The balance (magically) is supposed to take care of long range (long range as we know it). So at 40 yds., take out 30% of the pellets or there abouts...Why? What sense does that make? A child could sort that one out fairly quickly given a minimum of information about payload/ballistics...

Tomcat655

The pattern was good but I shot it out of full choke 30 in barrel .  When mossberg was revelation . Those long barrel shotguns hold it true no matter what but he had a whop where 4 or 5 pellets bunches up and slammed him . I'll shoot it again

dutch@fx4

I think the 3rd degree is more for the birds that show up at 10 yards ,I have had good luck with the flight control wad in all other loads and killed a ton of birds with them ,,I am still a long beard guy and am just waiting for them to come out with a 20g load ,,lets hope ,,Dutch

sippy cup

Ihavent seen a a pattern but a buddy o9f mine killed two with me one at 42 yards the other 20 and both turkeys heads were tore up he was using win1300 dont know what choke tho
beware of longdale legend

nickp

The shell patterned poorly in all of my guns except my old wingmaster with a 30" fixed full.  7 pellets in the kill zone at one of their given distances.  Surprised me.  They only other shell to do that well in that gun was the LB #4.  At 40 yards I would imagine that I would have around almost double in the kill zone (spinal cord and brain).  That wad just keeps me on edge in general though.  Sometimes it throws true even patterns another it may be spotty with clusters.  Haven't shot enough out of the Wingmaster though to make that assumption for it.  In my 870 3 1/2 with all chokes and the 10 it has been decently high numbers but erratic patterns.  I am wondering if the Wingmaster will be more consistent in the fixed barrel.  Well, sounds like I will just have to go find out  :z-guntootsmiley: 

Onpoint

Quote from: madstrutter on March 07, 2015, 08:40:30 PM
3rd degree has been on shelves for a month and I haven't seen a single pattern posted on any forums. This time last year there were hundreds of threads on different forums about Longbeards. I've heard a little about 3rd degree... Everyone says they don't shoot good, no patterns posted though.
They don't so too bad out of my beretta with a. Carlsons longbeard choke. The longbeards have better 40 yard patterns but I elected to load a 3rd degree in the chamber ans back it up with 2 longbeard sixes.
In my 535 I've been running a 3.5" HV 4 in the chamber and backing it up with longbeard 5's.

The third degree is definitely not a numbers shell but I feel completely confident with this shell out to 40. If I didn't I would load up with hevi 13, longbeards or thugs I have em all. I've only packed the Beretta twice this year but did manage to get a shot at a 2 year old bird. He was delicious.

Tomcat655

I shot a turkey last Tuesday morning with a 3 1/2 3rd degree at 50 yds and watch him fly off . I'm not completely certain it was me or the shell but I was confident enough to pull the trigger and watch him flop so needless to say I'm not getting anymore.

CrustyRusty

It was you...taking a shot you probably shouldn't have. :TrainWreck1:

Quote from: Tomcat655 on April 27, 2015, 07:01:04 PM
I shot a turkey last Tuesday morning with a 3 1/2 3rd degree at 50 yds and watch him fly off . I'm not completely certain it was me or the shell but I was confident enough to pull the trigger and watch him flop so needless to say I'm not getting anymore.

nickp

Quote from: Tomcat655 on April 27, 2015, 07:01:04 PM

Your pattern will tell you if it was you or the shell.  You need to know what your gun/shell combo will do at any range that you think you will shoot.  The HWT #7's in that shell have plenty enough knockdown at that range and cp lead #5's in it do as well.  The 6's, maybe not.  Question is, is the pattern there?  If it is, then it was you.  If not, then you may need another shell, depending on if you will ever shoot that far again.  If bad pattern is the case, I personally would find a shell that puts a good pattern out that far just for the sake of misjudging distances. 

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on April 22, 2015, 02:57:22 PM
Quote from: madstrutter on March 07, 2015, 08:40:30 PM
3rd degree has been on shelves for a month and I haven't seen a single pattern posted on any forums. This time last year there were hundreds of threads on different forums about Longbeards. I've heard a little about 3rd degree... Everyone says they don't shoot good, no patterns posted though.
They don't so too bad out of my beretta with a. Carlsons longbeard choke. The longbeards have better 40 yard patterns but I elected to load a 3rd degree in the chamber ans back it up with 2 longbeard sixes.
In my 535 I've been running a 3.5" HV 4 in the chamber and backing it up with longbeard 5's.

The third degree is definitely not a numbers shell but I feel completely confident with this shell out to 40. If I didn't I would load up with hevi 13, longbeards or thugs I have em all. I've only packed the Beretta twice this year but did manage to get a shot at a 2 year old bird. He was delicious.
My jebs choke arrived this weekend and it puts 120-130 in the 10 with 3" 3rd degree

VAarrowslinger