OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best choke for #5 Win lead

Started by oldstuff, March 02, 2015, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Quote from: jakesdad on March 27, 2015, 01:31:43 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 26, 2015, 09:07:10 PM
Quote from: catclr on March 26, 2015, 08:43:12 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 26, 2015, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 26, 2015, 05:14:04 PM
Did you shoot several 40 yard patterns of LB 5's for consistency or just the one?? :OGturkeyhead:

Shot 3, they all looked about the same. Great patterns but if you look at it..if you shot a few inches off there wouldn't be much shot in the turkey, not to mention what that pattern looks like inside 25 yds. Didn't have time to shoot close. If I could get a pattern around 110-115 with Pb 3" 5's that would be ideal for hunting. Hoping this setup likes the 5's (2oz, 1 3/4, 1 7/8)

Longshanks----Don't know what sights are on your gun, but from you pattern picture, your pattern looks high and to the left. You need to adjust your sights to the center of your pattern. Then your above statement would not matter as much, "if you shot a few inches off their wouldn't be much shot in the turkey".

That was with just the bead and having to aim at the bottom of the target..added adjustable sights today. 10" pattern at 40yds doesn't give allot of wiggle room especially if the turkey is closer.  I like a little more margin for error for hunting. I've had to shoot turkeys running in, walking, going in and out of strut, etc. majority of turkey's I shoot are inside 25. Would love to hit a 115-120 5 pattern at 40 with some good margin for error at 25.. but I am still shooting. :z-guntootsmiley:

Im on the same page as you Longshanks.Im more concerned about having good even pattern out to 15"-20" out to 30 yds than I am about having my target look like a screen door at 40. I know everything is tight from about 15 yds in,but i'm more worried about missing a bird with too tight a pattern from 15-30 yds than i am about having to shoot one at 40.My guns pattern well to 40 I just dont get hung up on a super high number at that range.If its 100-110 + and evenly distributed at 40 i'm happy.Nothing wrong with doing it either way tho.

I agree..I'm hopeful to hit something over 100 with the 5's with this setup. Have my fingers crossed that the win xx 3/2/5's will work out of this setup. Original poster didn't mean to high jack your thread but I figured since this is all about 5's and what works, it would be applicable.