turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke for #5 Win lead

Started by oldstuff, March 02, 2015, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldstuff

I have looked through nearly all of the opinions on chokes and do not find anyone using my setup. I have quite a lot of Winchester Supreme Double X 3 1/2 inch magnum 2 1/4 oz lead # 5 shot because I bought a bunch when I thought shotshells might become hard to get during the ammo scare a couple of years ago. I am not happy with the patterns in my Rem 870 supermag using the Remington choke that came with it. Does anyone have experience with this same setup that would recommend a choke that would deliver better patterns than I am getting now?

Thnaks- Oldstuff

Ihuntoldschool

I would try 665 first, then 670 if I was not happy with 665.

LARRYHAYNES

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 02, 2015, 05:16:53 PM
I would try 665 first, then 670 if I was not happy with 665.

What he said.
LARRY

mossyoakpro

My Rems love the Kicks 665 with the Winchester #5 loads....
Phillippians 4:13

oldstuff

I forgot to mention in my original post that the Remington choke that came with the sgotgun measures .650. I am assuming that is too tight?

Ihuntoldschool

Yes, 650 is overchoked for 3.5 inch #5 shot in a Remington in my opinion.  There are a lot of good chokes out there but I also had excellent patterns with the 665 Kicks in 3.5 #5 shot Winchester just like mossyoak posted. I would be surprised if it did not shoot well for you.

oldstuff

Thanks to All for the advice. I will get a .665 and pattern test it soon as we get a better weather day.

Oldstuff

Dtrkyman

I wish I could remember what choke a buddy shot from his with the same loads, it did well, I will see if he remembers he sold the gun.

Dtrkyman

He had a jellyhead,original not the max... did not put up the numbers the hevi shot or longbeards do but good consistent killing patterns. 

BandedSpur

Not the same gun or shell exactly, but my 3" 1187 does well with an IC .665 with most everything I put through it, including Winch Pb 5s.

Dr Juice

I recommend no smaller than a .670 when you're shooting 2.25oz of shot. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

oldstuff

OK- original poster her. I spent the day testing patterns with the original Remington .650 ported choke versus the new .665 Undertaker. I used my usual Winchester 3 1/2 inch-2.25 OZ #5 and the Rem choke was clearly better than the Undertaker .665. Also tried the Win 2 OZ #5 version and Thugs 3 1/2 2 OZ #5 with both chokes and same results- the original Rem choke was best. Had 142 pellets in a 10 inch circle at a measure 40 yards. Now I did not expect the 2 OZ loads to have as many pellets, porportionally the 2 1/4 OZ has a higher percentage. I also tried a .680 Rem standard "full" choke and it was not as good as either of the other two chokes. Guess I'll stick with what I started with. Thanks to those that replied.

Oldstuff

mudhen

I killed a lot of birds with that shell with an original Jellyhaid, can't remember if it was .665 or .670, but it was a thumper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

surehuntsalot

my old 835, some Winchester 3-1/2"  2-1/4oz #5's and a stardot choke has taken a many a turkey
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

nyhunter

Quote from: mossyoakpro on March 02, 2015, 09:31:42 PM
My Rems love the Kicks 665 with the Winchester #5 loads....

X2 I have also had great luck with that shell and The kicks.660. very hard to beat a Kicks in a Remmy with lead. They make a Great combo.

another good choice is a Jellyhead