turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setting up decoys in the dark.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 25, 2015, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I don't guess it matters whether you are hunting a field or not, but when y'all are getting to your spot in the morning and setting up your decoys, do you use a flashlight? With the recent post about snakes, it got me thinking that maybe it would not be a bad idea to use one. Of course, there is always the chance that it could/would alert the turkeys.

Marc

I try not to use a flashlight at all if possible...  Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I certainly would not use one to set up decoys...  Generally for my initial set-up, I have a plan and know where I want to be; I know the route I will use to get there, and I have a very good idea of where I am going to set-up and put my decoys.  (I have been known to change plans when I hear birds gobbling as I pull up though).

How many turkey hunters you figure die from snake-bites each season?  Remember, you are setting up the decoys in an open area...  Not lifting or kicking over rocks or logs...

Heck, I am much more concerned about setting up on a tree with red ants...  Those things are nasty, and usually start biting me just about the time I have a bird coming in hot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bamagtrdude

Nope, no flashlight.  I step off about 20-25 steps, look back at my tree/spot to confirm my angle, and then setup 'em up.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

northms

I try to never use a flashlight when getting into the turkey woods unless it's absolutely necessary for a safety reason. 

Bowguy

No flashlights. If you're afraid of snakes let your wife go first.

deerbasshunter3

I guess I am just as likely to run into a snake while turkey hunting as I ever have while deer hunting, which is never.

Bowguy

Don't worry bud they don't eat much. I don't think I've ever seen a snake turkey season. If they're a concern get snake boots

RussM311

Bowguy....great idea...but like Justin Wilson used to say that may be cruel and unusual punishment to the snakes.

I tend to hunt the swampy areas down here in Louisiana and Mississippi... and I run into a lot of snakes..mostly cottonmouth moccasins, and I am not about to set up without looking around first.

That said, I use a green lens light.... have not spooked any birds with it.... I hold it down to a very small area and don't flash it around. Also, I get in pretty darn early... getting old and have big feet... can be a bit noisy. Another key is knowing your birds, where they are roosted and the terrain.

deerbasshunter3

I was going to say, I have a red head lamp and supposedly deer cannot see red light. I wonder if turkey are the same.

West Augusta

I use a green led cap light if anything.  I wear snakeboots later in the season when the grass is taller but usually don't use a light.  I've been busted too many times with a light. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

:police:
Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 25, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
Nope, no flashlight.  I step off about 20-25 steps, look back at my tree/spot to confirm my angle, and then setup 'em up.

BGD
:agreed:

tha bugman

When I have had to use a flashlight i put a brown cotton dress sock over it to reduce the light and dull it down.

RutnNStrutn

On the way in I use a single red LED headlamp, but when I'm getting close to the roost area I turn it off.
If I'm using dekes, and I know there are birds roosted there, I set up in the dark, counting my steps. If I'm not sure of the birds' location, I wait for them to gobble, move in closer, and set up my deke carefully to avoid being spotted.

Gobble!

Never used a flashlight for turkey hunting. I don't hunt in cotton mouth country though.

Cut N Run

If I already know where I'll be hunting, I'll go in the day before and jab a stick in the ground or lay out a triangle of sticks in the best location for the decoy, so there's no doubt that the decoy ends up exactly where I want it the next morning in the dark. Practice setting up your decoy in the daylight so you can do it without hesitation in the dark.  No need for any flashlight around the decoys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.