turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setting up decoys in the dark.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 25, 2015, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyhawk

I generally check on where the birds are roosted before I make my final move to set up. That means it is light enough to not need a light. If I already have a set plan for the morning, I get there well before first light. I use a streamlight pencil light in green moving through the woods and a red one once I get to the area I want to hunt. With the very narrow beam, little (if any) light is visible from the roost. Turkeys have all kind of critters moving under them all night long. I think it is a much bigger deal if they see "you" moving at first light rather than some muted lights from a small flashlight well before daylight.  I'll also take the tradeoff of using a small light to assist in a quieter approach in the dark. FWIW, I've often set up for ducks in flooded timber with white flashlights, all the splashing required to wade around getting decoys out and trimming a few limbs only to look straight up at first light to see the trees full of turkeys. Remember, you can get away with a lot more after green up than early in the season.