turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bubble Cluck

Started by Brantley, February 22, 2015, 04:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the bubble cluck is. Is that referring to the really shoft cluck that almost sounds like a drop of water falling into a puddle. Hard to explain exactly but thats about the only "bubble" sounding cluck I've heard.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

silvestris

That is the first time I have heard that term in 40 years of turkey hunting.  Somebody is pulling your string.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Jbird22

Brantley, yes the sound you're describing is what people refer to as a bubble cluck.

Brantley

Thanks. Never heard that one until a few days ago.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

GobbleNut

Like silvestris, I had never heard any turkey sound referred to as a "bubble cluck" until about six months ago.  Don't know who came up with it, but as soon as I heard the term, however, I knew exactly what it was in reference to.  That is about as accurate a description of the sound as I can think of. 

It is just simply referring to the hollow, popping clucks that turkeys make,...and from my experience, those are very difficult to produce accurately by most callers on most calls.  As was stated in the thread on the two-note yelp, we rarely discuss the importance of realistic-sounding clucking,...instead, focusing on yelping or other calls...and in my opinion, being able to reproduce a "bubble cluck" at the right time is just as important, if not more so, than making a realistic yelp. 

Marc

So now that we know what the "bubble-cluck" is, how is it accomplished on a diaphragm call?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

drenalinld

There is a song bird that I have not identified that produces this sound very well. Hard for me to distinguish the difference.

drenalinld

There is a song bird that I have not identified that produces this sound very well. Hard for me to distinguish the difference.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2015, 09:14:47 PM
It is just simply referring to the hollow, popping clucks that turkeys make,...and from my experience, those are very difficult to produce accurately by most callers on most calls.

This sounds like what I think of as the "walnut bouncing off a log cluck".  I read that description somewhere, maybe here, and it stuck.  Is that the same sound?  Of the various calls I've attempted this with, the closest I can come is with a trumpet.

Turkeyman62

Quote from: silvestris on February 22, 2015, 05:13:52 PM
That is the first time I have heard that term in 40 years of turkey hunting.  Somebody is pulling your string.

:icon_thumright:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

GSLAM95

I know a couple of hens with a "bubble butt" but never heard a rendition of a bubble cluck  8)

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

bamagtrdude

JBIRD22 posted a sound sample of the bubble cluck on the 2-note yelp thread -- http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,51078.0.html

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Bowguy

That's a Scott Ellis terminology, it's a soft "bubbly" half cluck. A tree roost sound sometimes. Sometimes ain't enough to worry about it. Tree calls vary n so do fly downs

bamagtrdude

---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

GobbleNut

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 23, 2015, 10:27:00 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2015, 09:14:47 PM
It is just simply referring to the hollow, popping clucks that turkeys make,...and from my experience, those are very difficult to produce accurately by most callers on most calls.

This sounds like what I think of as the "walnut bouncing off a log cluck".  I read that description somewhere, maybe here, and it stuck.  Is that the same sound?  Of the various calls I've attempted this with, the closest I can come is with a trumpet.

I think they are one and the same,...It's just a lot easier to say "bubble cluck".   :laugh: