OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dismal results with LB's!

Started by Izzyjoe, February 06, 2015, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzyjoe

Well I had been wanting to try out some LB's, and I found some at dicks, I took off work early today so I could go shoot. I bought a box #4, #5 3", I had my hopes up that they would do well, the shotgun I was using is a Rem 870 special purpose made in '87, the only turkey choke I have is a older Tru glo made by mark bansner, I think it's .665, I have deep cleaned the barrel before, but not polished it.
At 40yds the #4's put 96 hits in 10", and the pattern was 4" high, and 2" to the left.
At 40yds the #5's put 94 hits in 10", and the pattern was 6" low, and 4" to the left, I may have pulled that one. I only shot twice, one each, I will go back out Sunday and try again, I'd hoped for a better results, but to honest the 4's actually had a better pattern, and since they shot high I wouldn't be afraid to use them. The 5's just seem to be less even in the group, and I really like 5 shot. I did not measure the yardage, but stepped off 40, I can usually get pretty close, and if I was off I wasn't by much.

340_Dart

The numbers do seem awfully low for longbeards. My 21" 870 shoots 120s iwith LB #5 and 150s with LB #6 in the 10" @ 40.  I shoot a .660 Jellyhead in it, but plan on doing some testing with a .665 jellyhead and a .655 remington ventilator come spring, as I feel there is more in my gun. The longbeards generally are not picky when it comes to chokes though.
Are you sure you are catching the full pattern? Being that your POi is off, I wonder if you are seeing the edge of a pattern. Maybe invest in a set of adjustable sights to correct any pattern issues.
How clean is your barrel, I generally clean my barrel before testing and between shots.

bbcoach

That does seem low for longbeards.  I have a couple of questions.  Did you shoot a few dove loads for POA/POI at 12 to 15 yards before you shot the LB's?  How big of a piece of paper did you use at 40 yards?  How cold was it when you shot?

Izzyjoe

I'm sorry I forgot to add that I'm using some large masking paper for bodyshops, it's 36" wide, so I made a frame that is 36x36 and staple it on and cut it off. The barrel is 26", and I cleaned it with method used on here, but I did not take time to polish it. Prior to shooting I ran a bore snake down it 3 times and remove the debre, the core pattern was consintrated in the center of the paper, I was using a six o'clock hold on the target, and this shotgun usually shoots high, which is what would like anyway so I can hold on the base of the neck, and get the pattern in the head. I have thought about getting some add sights, but all the ones have seen look kinda cheap, I think I will clean the barrel and go shot some more today, I can say that those LB's kick like the devil, you don't have to pump the gun it kicks the empty out like an auto, I wish I could post pics but I ain't that smart!

laker

I recommend the TruGlo Pro-Series Magnum Gobble Dot Sights. They are held in place with allen screws and in my opinion are built well. They have all the adjustments you will need to make and seem to be built very well in my opinion. Bought some for my 870 that I've been getting ready for spring.

Philippe

First thing to do is get some good sights on that shotgun and get the poa/poi fixed. Then I suggest investing and a Truglo SSX or Jellyhead .660/.665, That gun will wake up big time!

Longshanks

Kicks .655/.660 are business with the Winchester HV, XX, and LB's. Try 6's if you are looking to go over 200 in a 10 @ 40 with LB's.

Rem 870/ Kicks .660.  3"/5's.  160's in a 10 @ 40

Rem 870/ kicks .655.   3"/6's.  214 in a 10 @ 40

*Winchester loads and Kicks chokes are the most consistent thing I have found in building turkey guns.
*Hevi 13 and Hevi 13 chokes runs a close second.

worth612000

I haven't had the chance to try Longbeards , but I did go to a.660 choke tube from a .665 in a mcs. All I could say is "WOW" it was amazing on what .005 did, I do think it could go the other way too, just depends on gun and load.

jakesdad

Longshanks-

How evenly spread was that pattern of 5's with the Kicks? Was it center dense or have good even coverage out to around 15"? I would like to try LB's again in my 870,but they shot a little tight for my liking in my 870 with a Ventilator.thanks

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Twowithone

Definitely do a couple shots with dove loads to check your POA/POI. You don't want to cripple a gobbler and never recover it. Still early in the game shoot that gun a lot more. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

mudhen

I know they work, but it's still just lead....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Izzyjoe on February 06, 2015, 11:35:20 PM
Well I had been wanting to try out some LB's, and I found some at dicks, I took off work early today so I could go shoot. I bought a box #4, #5 3", I had my hopes up that they would do well, the shotgun I was using is a Rem 870 special purpose made in '87, the only turkey choke I have is a older Tru glo made by mark bansner, I think it's .665, I have deep cleaned the barrel before, but not polished it.
At 40yds the #4's put 96 hits in 10", and the pattern was 4" high, and 2" to the left.
At 40yds the #5's put 94 hits in 10", and the pattern was 6" low, and 4" to the left, I may have pulled that one. I only shot twice, one each, I will go back out Sunday and try again, I'd hoped for a better results, but to honest the 4's actually had a better pattern, and since they shot high I wouldn't be afraid to use them. The 5's just seem to be less even in the group, and I really like 5 shot. I did not measure the yardage, but stepped off 40, I can usually get pretty close, and if I was off I wasn't by much.

You are correct about the Mark Bansner choke having an exit diameter of .665. It's an excellent choke tube with quite a following.

I'm curious about the temperature when you shot.  Do you recall what is was?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

daymude7288

I have 870 with Mark Bansner choke as well and with LB 3.5" #6's it shoots pretty darn good.

Izzyjoe

The temp was in the lower 50's, I just finished cleaning the barrel, I scrubbed it good, and did some light polishing, now it looks like a mirror! I do think this choke prefers 6's, cause it shoots pretty good wth W#6xx's, if i remember it was around 100 hits at 40yds. I would like to get somewhere around 130-140 maybe less, but at least a 100 hits with a good margin in 20" to give me room for error. I guess I'll looks for a different choke, my boss has a factory Rem Extra full, I'll try it tomorrow.

Longshanks

Quote from: jakesdad on February 07, 2015, 02:18:38 PM
Longshanks-

How evenly spread was that pattern of 5's with the Kicks? Was it center dense or have good even coverage out to around 15"? I would like to try LB's again in my 870,but they shot a little tight for my liking in my 870 with a Ventilator.thanks

Shot tight patterns. Even patterns but tight at 40yds, had a couple of patterns I couldn't explain. Looked like the pattern was cut in half. Due to this I have allot more confidence in the LB 6's.