OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dismal results with LB's!

Started by Izzyjoe, February 06, 2015, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

For all the " it's just lead remarks" lead has a million times fold killed everything that walked , crawled or flew than anything else.

mudhen

And folks used to die of polio too.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

worth612000

Quote from: mudhen on February 08, 2015, 12:49:43 AM

True, and I have 12 boxes of Hevi 7's and 7 boxes of Mag Blends I and a couple of boxes with a shell or 2 left. I won't bad mouth something until I tried if for myself and  I will not be stoking up on any more Hevi shot untill I try them out. Federal Heavy weight weighs alot more than lead, where hevi shot doesn't, but I noticed their shot load is low. TSS , the super stuff can only be hand loaded and over priced.

turkey buster

:OGturkeyhead:

So they've found a cure for lead and it no longer kills turkeys?

jakesdad

Quote from: turkey buster on February 08, 2015, 07:36:24 AM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

eddie234

This is what I got with the LB's 3" #6's 40 yards with a Winchester 1300 and a comp n choke .655, it's the choke they recommend with a short barrel.

Twowithone

Got a couple gobblers under my belt and they all folded with some sort of Winchester ammo  LB, ER,XX,. All dropped right there I don't need no fancy ammo to harvest a gobbler. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

ericjames

That is funny stuff right there. I guess lead bounces off now or something. I'll go as far to say there is still more turkeys die even in present times than with all htl combined. Probably twice as many.

ericjames

owlhoot

mudhen

Not necessarily...

It seems logical that one might want to use the most effective means possible to kill an animal, given that we are killing said animal strictly for fun....

I'm no physics major, but I'm pretty sure epoxy does't increase the weight of lead, but I could easily be wrong....

But that's just my take, YRMV.....

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Izzyjoe

Meanwhile back the farm, I went out this mourning, and set up my target at the range, it marked of at 25,50,75,100. So I went from the 50yd line and stepped of ten yards back, and up my pattern board when I got back to shooting bench, I thought man that looks closer than I had set up Friday, well the thing is I went down to where I deer hunt Friday to check on my deer stand cause we had a lot of strong winds the weekend before, and i wanted to see if had blown over, well good news it's still standing, bad news is my stepping of yardage sucks, I figure I was closer to 50 more than anything. Well today my boss showed up to and he had his range finder, and I had my target set up at 42yds. So we both shot at 42yds, and I finally forced him to the LB's! Needless to say he was shocked, and so was I, I tried two different shotguns, my Rem 870sp, and my Win 120 ranger, which is a cheap model 1200, but I have a truglo strutt stopper for it also. Here's the numbers!
870, #4 LBs 114 hits in ten at 42yd.
        #5 LBs 151 hits in ten at 42yd.
         Winxx #6  104 hits in ten at 42yd.
         I tried the #4 LBs at 50yds and had 62hits in the ten.
   And just for grins I shot some Win AA 7 1/2 trap loads at 30ys. And got 147 hits.
When I got home I counted all the hits and I think I'll start keeping a notebook on this from now on! But I did learn a good lesson, I need to learn to judge yardage better!

ericjames

I would hunt with those 5's any day.

jakesdad

Quote from: mudhen on February 08, 2015, 03:02:44 PM

Not necessarily...

It seems logical that one might want to use the most effective means possible to kill an animal, given that we are killing said animal strictly for fun....

I'm no physics major, but I'm pretty sure epoxy does't increase the weight of lead, but I could easily be wrong....

But that's just my take, YRMV.....

How much more "effective" can dead be? If your chosen setup is used within its limitations,whether its a .410 with lead #7 1/2 at 20 yds or a 10 ga loaded with TSS #9 at 50, it doesnt make a nickels worth of difference what you're shooting............dead is dead.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

owlhoot

Quote from: ericjames on February 08, 2015, 05:21:36 PM
I would hunt with those 5's any day.
yep good to go now.
get yourself a rangefinder if you can swing it. It is amazing how you can mis-judge distance in the field.
Just look at the pellet count drop from 8 yards further even with those big 4's.
Good idea testing instead of guessing.