OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Extra Full Turkey Choke/ 21" bbl

Started by Longshanks, February 06, 2015, 06:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

yella yelper

Man that's surprising! I was getting over 200 with 3" #6 hevi out of my 21" barrel 870 using the Ventilator.  Other chokes were just ok but it came to life with the Ventilator

Longshanks

Quote from: owlhoot on February 09, 2015, 07:26:39 PM
My problems usually the nut behind the gun :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

yea..I was shooting two guns at the same time and wasn't paying attention. That's what I get for not paying attention. Back to the range.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Longshanks

Quote from: yella yelper on February 09, 2015, 07:46:31 PM
Man that's surprising! I was getting over 200 with 3" #6 hevi out of my 21" barrel 870 using the Ventilator.  Other chokes were just ok but it came to life with the Ventilator

Yea, I'm hoping the nut loosening off was the problem. My 870sm 26" bbl shoots unbelievable with that choke. New barrel may need polishing if that's not it..

Snoodsniper

I'm using this same barrel choke combo with 2 3/4 handloads for my boys and it patterns pretty decent out to 30 yds.

Longshanks

Quote from: yella yelper on February 09, 2015, 07:46:31 PM

You shooting Hevi 13 3/2/6?

yella yelper

It was less than 2oz.  Don't remember exactly.  The old white shells with the roll crimp.  1 7/8 maybe or 1 3/4.  But yes, 3" #6

perrytrails

I have the 24 inch rifle sight screw in choke barrel. Using a Remington super full .660

Winchester 2 3/4 xx lead 6's. This combo has taken many, many birds.

My nephew had the extra full that came with the express turkey gun and I believe it was a 21 double beaded barrel. Never found a shell that patterned well with it.

Found a undertaker .660 later on that worked well for it.

Longshanks

Rem 870 21" bbl..Shot again today..Extra full, Ventilator (XX, HV, LB's 5's, 6's)...nothing working at 40 yards.

*tight patterns at 20, decent patterns at 30..falls off big time at 40. (70's with LB 5's (extra full), less than 100 with Pb 6's  (Ventilator)

This is gonna be a tuff one..any thoughts?

owlhoot

Longshanks

Hevi 13 3" 6's, 7's, magblends,  Hevi 13 3.5 6's, 7's, Fed HW 3" 7's.

HV 3" 5's, 6's.  XX 3" 5's, 6's, Thugs 3" 5's,  Supremes 1 7/8  5's, 6's

*problem is the Extra Full and Ventilator are the only two rem chokes I have. My other 870's have tru-choke threads in the barrel.

owlhoot

and go to work on that new barrel.
New to you or brand new?
My 26" had lots of machining marks in it, i polished the heck out it from the instructions on this forum.
Never did get them completely out
My 21" is from the early 90's and is like a mirror, got lucky i guess.

owlhoot

Lots of posts on this site with good patterns from the ventilator with some of those shells you have.
Use the search function ventilator.

Longshanks

Quote from: owlhoot on February 10, 2015, 08:53:18 PM
and go to work on that new barrel.
New to you or brand new?
My 26" had lots of machining marks in it, i polished the heck out it from the instructions on this forum.
Never did get them completely out
My 21" is from the early 90's and is like a mirror, got lucky i guess.

21" bbl is new.

I have a Rem 870sm 26" bbl  that is a couple of years old and I had to have it professionally polished due to the machine marks in the barrel. It will turn 160's in a 10 with XX 3" 6's shooting a ventilator.  The new 21"bbl barrel doesn't look too bad but I guess polishing it is my next step.

yella yelper

Look at my before and after pictures on polishing the barrel sticky. First page