turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Extra Full Turkey Choke/ 21" bbl

Started by Longshanks, February 06, 2015, 06:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Ordered a new 21" bbl for my Wingmaster. Came with a Remington Extra Full Turkey Choke. Has anyone been able to turn any decent 40 yd patterns with this choke? Win XX? HV? Hevi 13?,  Win LB's?

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bammerslammer 50

I tried wlb #5  as well as hevi #5, #6, #7 and mag blends all 3.5in and got decent patterns at times but it was never consistent. The shots I did get good numbers on it seemed like there were alot of holes in the pattern as well. Just my experience. Good luck.

Tom Foolery

My short barreled 870 would shoot 3" Win HV #4's between 85-100 @ 40yds with the Extra Full.  Nothing else was even decent with it and my other 870 was terrible with anything through that choke.

It worked good for #4 buck though if it was legal for predators in your state.

BandedSpur

At .687, that choke is pretty open. Would do fine with TSS, but with factory loads, I don't know. I inherited one a while back, but have never shot it. I would give it a go with some Winch LBs and see what happens.

Longshanks

Thanks guys, that will save me some money and time. I have another Ventilator .655 that I bought when I found them on sale for 12.99. I will start there after a deep cleaning and see what I can get going. Guess that extra full would be good for squirrels and home protection.

K9Doc

Betcha that .655 will perform much better.
It should pattern WLB 6's well or Hevi 6-7's
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Longshanks

Quote from: K9Doc on February 07, 2015, 04:07:17 PM
Betcha that .655 will perform much better.
It should pattern WLB 6's well or Hevi 6-7's

Yea man, I have turned some high numbers with Pb 6's and Hevi 7's out of that choke and a 870sm. Hoping that combo will do ok out of the wingmaster.

CntrlPA

Quote from: Longshanks on February 07, 2015, 09:22:56 AM
Thanks guys, that will save me some money and time. I have another Ventilator .655 that I bought when I found them on sale for 12.99. I will start there after a deep cleaning and see what I can get going. Guess that extra full would be good for squirrels and home protection.

For a cheap choke you can't beat a ventilator.

Longshanks

Rem870 21" bbl/ Ventilator .655

Deep cleaned barrel, shot 20 or so rounds through the gun and then patterned.

Surprising results..tight patterns with 1 7/8 and 2 ounce Win Pb at 20yds. Terrible patterns at 40yds.

*patterns with 3" Longbeards terrible as well. Maybe 110-120 with 6's and 115 with 5's.

Back to the drawing board.

owlhoot

Bought a 21" 870 years ago, when they first came out. It came with the extra full.
Was quickly replaced with the Ventilator when i could get one.
Much better patterns.

Longshanks

Quote from: owlhoot on February 09, 2015, 05:16:18 PM
Bought a 21" 870 years ago, when they first came out. It came with the extra full.
Was quickly replaced with the Ventilator when i could get one.
Much better patterns.

Your barrel a 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5??

owlhoot

Longshanks

Think the nut on the barrel loosened off by the time I started the 40yd shots..

owlhoot