OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many shells?

Started by dirt road ninja, February 03, 2015, 03:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

MY uncle told me to take 6 3 in the gun and 3 in the vest...just in case :OGturkeyhead:

captin_hook

ozarkhooks

three in my benelli 12 five more in my vest and three 20 guage shells and two 410 shells in my vest just in case someone i'm taking hunting forgets ammo. and usually a few boxes in my truck.

Doug

3 in the gun and 3 in the vest.  The rest of the box in the truck.

When I was a kid, I hunted turkey with my Dad's old double barrel.  He would give me 2 shells and off I'd go.  I always brought back either two live shells or one live shell and one dead turkey - usually it was two live shells though LOL

PALongspur

I normally carry four. Two in the gun, two in the vest.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: guesswho on February 03, 2015, 03:49:35 PM
I usually start with three and get no lower than two.

+1; i also carry a few extras in my waist pack.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Jbird22

3 in my gun, 5 in my vest (2 of which are normally dove loads in case I run across snakes)

Tail Feathers

I usually put two in the gun and carry an extra one or two in my vest.  I keep a box in the truck.  The shells in the vest cover me if I forget to load my gun, the ones in the truck are extra insurance.
I need to carry a varmint/snake round or two in my vest.  That's a good idea.  It would not be something I would use often but it may save me an expensive round some day.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jblackburn

Usually 5.  Only reason is there are 5 shell loops in my vest.  Three go in the gun, two in the vest.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

FttFttVroom!

Three

One for a coyote
One for a turkey
One for a rattlesnake

zelmo1

Six, three in the gun and 3 in the vest. Creature of habit. Al Baker

nativeks

Made a mistake last spring. Had my 3 in the gun that I have done for years. Neglected to think about I usually shoot a 20 ga but had the 12 gauge with me. I had a case of the misses last year for some reason and ended up wounding a bird. I ended up having to run it down and finish it with a stick. Bet I check the vest next time.

mudhen

Depends on where I am...

7-10 shells usually, coyotes need love too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

hobbes

I average 6 (3 in gun 3 in vest)  but it varies. 

For you guys that pack specific shells for yotes or snakes,  have you ever had concern with trying to explain say #4 buck to the GW in a state that says max size for turkey is #X ?  I think it would be illegal in some states to have it in my vest no matter what I said it was for.

Neill_Prater

Three in the gun, and I used to carry 3 extra, but now generally opt for just one extra round. Probably will never need the extra, but have, on a couple of memorable occasions in my hunting career, popped off 3 rounds at one turkey without bringing him to bag. And, of course, we all know what would happen on the way back to the truck if one were to expend all the shells you have on your person and fail to bag a gobbler.  :)