OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need suggestions on a 20 ga for a petite woman

Started by RutnNStrutn, January 08, 2015, 03:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Hey guys, a friend of mine, who is a short, petite woman wants to take up turkey hunting. I'm looking for recommendations for gun, choke and load combinations. She is on a fairly tight budget, so the more affordable the better. She is used to shooting a pump shotgun, and wants to go with a 20 gauge. I know every gun/choke/load combo has to be tried out, but I was wondering what combos were good for those of y'all that shoot 20 ga pumps. Thanks for any help you can provide!! :icon_thumright:

turkey harvester

My wife shoots a remington 1100 youth model. It only chambers 2 3/4" shells but I put a .570 or.573 hastings choke in it and she shoots #5 nitro mags out of it. Gun is light but has almost no kick. Black synthetic with a black matt finish. Pretty wicked little gun. Will lay the smack down on one at 40 yards guaranteed. Hope it helps and good luck.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

backwater

Take a look at the Browning BPS Micro.    Very nice gun for a petite woman or a youngster.

J Hook Max

zelmo1

Franchi AL48. Smaller frame and light recoil. My son started with one and my wife still shoots it.

Swampchickin234

I would look into finding an older model 870 youth or standerd and fit the stock to her, a bps micro like sated above, or a benellie nova. I've had excellent results with. .582 non ported undertaker choke and fed hw 7 and hevi 7.  Also shot fed flight control lead 6s very well to.   Tru glo ssx, also shoots well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagtrdude

Quote from: J Hook Max on January 08, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
A youth model 870 pump would be ideal.

^^^ this.  A buddy of mine snagged one from Wal-Mart for WELL under $400; it's a NICE gun, I love the camo job on it, and it's LIGHT as a feather.  Kinda has my gears turnin' a little bit, as I'm not that big of a fella...  I lucked into a 12ga Winchester SXP w/the short barrel for my 12 year old daughter last year (under 5' tall, around 100 lbs) & SHE LOVED IT; handled very well (20ga-ish) & very lightweight...  Although it's a "field gun", I loved the little thing & killed a bird w/it myself...  I've since traded it off for another gun since she's given up on hunting...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

hookedspur

This is a youth or compact 870 20 I replaced the stock and if I use the Remington turkey choke tube
and Federal HWT. 7s its a little killer, my grand daughter 8 yrs old can use it.

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bamagtrdude

The after-market parts on the Remington's is pretty darn good; neat gun, man!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Snoodsniper

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 11, 2015, 08:36:18 PM
Franchi AL48. Smaller frame and light recoil. My son started with one and my wife still shoots it.
This is an excellent shotgun. It's very reliable,lightweight and a good all around shooter. That said its probably not a "budget gun". You can find them for a fair price but you can get a 870 or a Mossberg bantam cheaper and either would make a good turkey gun.

silvestris

I would have a Remington 870 youth model for sale if my former lying, cheating, thieving, cousin hadn't forgotten that he had borrowed it from me for his step-son to hunt with.  I may just tell his parole officer about it when the miscreant gets out of the halfway house.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

:TooFunny:  I don't know that I would mention to the authorities that I loaned a gun to a felon. :z-twocents:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

K9Doc

Guys he asked about a small framed lady. I would recommend a gas operated gun. Pumps kick, inertia operated kick too.
A beretta is a very light weight gas gun or even a browning silver. A hard kicking gun is not fun for anyone.
Just my 2 cents.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

surehuntsalot

another vote for the 870 youth, can't beat it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BowBendr

Quote from: K9Doc on January 13, 2015, 10:01:14 PM
Guys he asked about a small framed lady. I would recommend a gas operated gun. Pumps kick, inertia operated kick too.
A beretta is a very light weight gas gun or even a browning silver. A hard kicking gun is not fun for anyone.
Just my 2 cents.

...also said she was used to shooting a pump gun and asked about specific pump set-ups...
...another vote for the 870 youth. Mine loves the trulock HW7 choke and fed 7's.