Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old turkey hunters......gotta LOVE 'em !!!!

Started by Yoder409, June 25, 2014, 09:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Ran across this account by another gentleman on another forum.  Thought it was too good not to pass along.

"I've always been fascinated with old Turkey hunters. Grisled old grey bearded men, stooped with age but steeped in wisdom and experience. Perhaps it's because a few of them were very influential on my early turkey hunting years, but in any event I never tire of meeting them. Today's meeting however, was unexpected and happened in the unlikeliest of places. A busy Walmart McDonalds that was struggling to keep up with a Friday breakfast crowd composed of elderly "regular" folks who seem to gather at such places daily for coffee and breakfast, and a few odd shoppers among which I found myself and my wife. I'm a third shifter so I was running on little sleep but rushing to get a few errands run, including buying my fishing license (on the eve of the trout opener....I'm such a procrastinator !) . Anyway, while waiting impatiently for my overdue food order, I noticed a wiry little old fella beside me wearing vintage Trebark camo hat and a long jacket. He appeared to be in his mid eighties atleast , if not ninety. A little stooped over and leaning on his cane, but his eyes were sharp and he had the look of a little orneriness and a jolly mischievous grin on his face that told me this ol timer was still pretty spry. I noticed a brass pin of a wild turkey pinned to his hat and before I even realized it, I was quizzing him about the pin and if he was an old turkey hunter. He confessed and acknowledged my Mossy Oak hat with the turkey track on the bill, and replied that it "takes one to know one". I couldnt hide my grin at that witty little jab, and soon we were doing what turkey hunters do, spinning tales and such. He told me he had killed his last gobbler just a couple years ago,and I told him I thought that was an impressive feat at his age. He proceeded to tell me a story I'll never forget. It seems he had this old gobbled coming to his call and coming in quick. And he told me that at his age when your body starts sending signals about certain bodily functions, you better listen. Well, that bird is closing in fast and suddenly he has to pee. Not ten minutes from now, but right now. But he knew if he stood up to do his business (which also takes much longer at that age) that it would be game over, spook the turkey. So he did what any turkey hunter worth his salt would do. He peed his pants and shot the gobbler, which happened to weigh 24# with a ten inch beard! We both laughed so hard I thought I was gonna cry, and I thought he was gonna go into cardiac arrest. Well, as luck would have it, our brief meeting was cut short by the hustle and bustle that seems to dictate our lives these days, and I bid the old timer farewell and left him to his old cronies and their morning coffee, but as I walked away to join my wife, I took one more look back at the old timer and he shot me a ornery grin and a wink. Which somehow made me suddenly wonder if I had been dealt with truthfully, or if the old gent had just played me in a game of "shoot the bull", and won. I sure hope I meet the old coot again soon. Thank God for those old turkey hunters!"

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV Ridge Reaper

ccleroy

Very nice, the ones from the "Old Guard" are something special!

savduck

Georgia Boy

land cruiser

RAY

Crawdad

Thanks for sharing that, it really started my morning off with a big smile.

GSLAM95

That was a priceless encounter with a generation of knowledge which anyone should feel privileged to listen.   :thanks: for sharing the moment.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

owlhoot

mikejd

Great post.

I met an old timer while fishing last spring he was 94. I dont know if he was a turkey hunter but that man lived and seen it all. he had my ear for the better part of an hr standing by the lake. If I could have I would still be standing there and just listening. He was sharp as they come. And still fishing. I actually generated the conversation as I saw a pocket copy of the US constitution sticking out of his shirt pocket. I hope I run into him again.

2eagles

I think he was using an egg McMuffin for bait, you took the bait, hook, line and sinker and he reeled you in like a big 'ol bass.  Good thing he practices catch & release.

beagler

Never Misses

troutfisher13111

n2deer

Quote from: Yoder409 on June 25, 2014, 09:52:26 PM
I took one more look back at the old timer and he shot me a ornery grin and a wink. Which somehow made me suddenly wonder if I had been dealt with truthfully, or if the old gent had just played me in a game of "shoot the bull", and won.

I really like this statement.